Core Impact Pro 8
May 01, 2009
Core Security TechnologiesProduct:
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Very flexible and specialised penetration testing
- Weaknesses: None that we found
- Verdict: The absolute top of the line for network security assessments at all levels. Again, we award Core Impact our highest rating of SC Lab Approved
One of our favourite tools is back this year and better than ever. Core Impact Pro 8 is the ultimate tool in vulnerability assessment and penetration testing. It provides a comprehensive suite of features in one place. It can be used to scan and exploit systems using multiple modules for information gathering, exploitation, local information gathering, privilege escalation, pivoting, clean up and reporting. It also deploys agents that run in the target's memory if a target can be exploited. These agents can be used to access system information.
Core Impact Pro 8 is still a simple install; however, because of added functionality, it has taken on a few new dependencies. The installations of the past only required that WinPcap needed to be installed. Now prerequisites include installation of the .Net Framework and SQL Server. With prerequisites installed, the installation is simple and takes a few minutes, guided by a wizard.
Once the install is complete, scanning and configuration are done from the application's console. This has also been renewed. The look of the interface is cleaner and more organised. There is also a lot more automation, including a specialised vulnerability scanning test. However, the old feature of the wizard-based, step-by-step scan is still there. This lets users discover and scan the network quickly and try to penetrate targets in a few easy steps.
Documentation includes a PDF user guide that covers the product from installation through using features and advanced configuration. It is well organised, with many screenshots, examples and step-by-step instructions.
Core Security provides technical support via phone and email. Customers also have access to an online support portal consisting of FAQs, forums, a knowledgebase, training videos, case management and other resources.
At an annual cost of approximately £21,350, this product may seem expensive, but we find it to be excellent value for the money. Core Impact provides highly specialised and sophisticated end-to-end vulnerability and penetration testing across the enterprise.
SC Webcasts UK
Sign up to our newsletters
DV Cleared Systems Architect - 6 Months - London
Computerfutures - London (North), London (Greater)
CISO – Chief Information Security Officer (Up to £100K)
Evolution Recruitment - London (North), London (Greater)
Head of Security Strategy – London
Evolution Recruitment - London (West), London (Greater)
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Senior Security Consultant - Home Based - upto 75k Basic
Pete Sanders - Home Based with travel to clients
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Singapore to shut off internet access for government agencies
- What exactly will this new bill of rights mean for privacy laws within the UK?
- 6 in 10 universities hit by ransomware, 2/3 hit multiple times
- Following Bitcoin ransoms reveals billion dollar cyber-crime
- Updated: Remote Apple jailbreak - with just one click
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- Microsoft ends common password use and password lockout
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- 1.5 billion Windows computers potentially affected by unpatched 0-day exploit
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- Minecraft account dump: 71,000 accounts leaked
- ICO receives 88% rise in reported security breaches from 2015 to 2016
- Proofpoint report shows a significant rise in social media fraud
- Dropbox hack confirmed real, 68 million accounts affected
- Is security automation the solution for overworked cyber-security staff?