Core Impact Pro 8
May 01, 2009
Core Security TechnologiesProduct:
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Very flexible and specialised penetration testing
- Weaknesses: None that we found
- Verdict: The absolute top of the line for network security assessments at all levels. Again, we award Core Impact our highest rating of SC Lab Approved
One of our favourite tools is back this year and better than ever. Core Impact Pro 8 is the ultimate tool in vulnerability assessment and penetration testing. It provides a comprehensive suite of features in one place. It can be used to scan and exploit systems using multiple modules for information gathering, exploitation, local information gathering, privilege escalation, pivoting, clean up and reporting. It also deploys agents that run in the target's memory if a target can be exploited. These agents can be used to access system information.
Core Impact Pro 8 is still a simple install; however, because of added functionality, it has taken on a few new dependencies. The installations of the past only required that WinPcap needed to be installed. Now prerequisites include installation of the .Net Framework and SQL Server. With prerequisites installed, the installation is simple and takes a few minutes, guided by a wizard.
Once the install is complete, scanning and configuration are done from the application's console. This has also been renewed. The look of the interface is cleaner and more organised. There is also a lot more automation, including a specialised vulnerability scanning test. However, the old feature of the wizard-based, step-by-step scan is still there. This lets users discover and scan the network quickly and try to penetrate targets in a few easy steps.
Documentation includes a PDF user guide that covers the product from installation through using features and advanced configuration. It is well organised, with many screenshots, examples and step-by-step instructions.
Core Security provides technical support via phone and email. Customers also have access to an online support portal consisting of FAQs, forums, a knowledgebase, training videos, case management and other resources.
At an annual cost of approximately £21,350, this product may seem expensive, but we find it to be excellent value for the money. Core Impact provides highly specialised and sophisticated end-to-end vulnerability and penetration testing across the enterprise.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Senior Network Security Engineer, London, £68-85k + package
Infosec People - England, London
Information Security Risk Manager, £45-55k + bens
Infosec People - West Midlands, England, Coventry
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £55-63k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Aldershot, Hampshire
Security Architect, Cardiff - to £70k Basic
Infosec People - Cardiff, Wales
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Met Police grab suspect with phone unlocked to get hold of data
- Cyber-security must reflect risk not just regulation
- Report: Mirai 'is just the tip of the iceberg'
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- Microsoft Office 365 hit with massive Cerber ransomware attack, report
- 400% increase in POS malware variants across US Thanksgiving weekend
- Only 25% of businesses can effectively detect and respond to data breaches
- Is BYOD your company's norm? Beware the ghosts of data past this Christmas
- Over 400,000 phishing sites have been detected each month in 2016
- TalkTalk customers urged to get routers swapped over hacker fears