AirMagnet Enterprise 7.5
May 01, 2007
£5,077 (includes all AirMagnet software and four sensors)
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: A very feature-rich product with a great dashboard that can give data about the wireless environment at a glance
- Weaknesses: The documentation was good but not great and a more precise quick-start guide could make life easier
- Verdict: A very solid wireless security management application
The AirMagnet Enterprise application is a software-based offering that runs on the Win32 platforms. It also uses hardware in the form of sensors that can be deployed at strategic points around the enterprise to identify and block rogue access points, rogue clients or active wireless attacks. The application has many options to choose from for administration.
In this review we worked primarily through the web-based interface, which was started on the management machine during the installation process. The other administration application we used extensively was the enterprise console. The console was a well put-together management, reporting, logging and current status application. We tested no other product in this review that provided such easy access to such a large amount of information.
The AirMagnet Enterprise application comes with several general-purpose policies and several industry-specific policies. The policies are used to define alerts and configuration of wireless access points.
The installation of AirMagnet Enterprise was very simple. The application needs a database for storing information and SQL is included with the installation process. For the purpose of the review, we used an Access database, but both SQL and Oracle databases are supported. Once the primary installation was complete, we ran into the only tricky parts of the installation. In order to install the enterprise console, you needed to select the AirMagnet Enterprise Server Web Page icon and from this interface select the installation of the enterprise console.
The documentation for AirMagnet Enterprise came in the form of PDF files that were well laid out, indexed and searchable. While the documentation included a quick-start guide, it was rather lengthy and was not as useful as most quick-start guides.
AirMagnet includes support for the first year after purchase in the purchase price. Additional years of support are available via email and phone. AirMagnet provides free access to its knowledge base.
The application is in the middle of the price range for products tested, but the price includes one year of support and four sensors.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Security Architect, Cardiff - to £70k Basic
Infosec People - Cardiff, Wales
Interim CISO (Chief Information Security Officer) - Cyber Security Director
CYBER EXECS - London (Central), London (Greater)
Junior Penetration Tester, Hertfordshire, to £35k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Hertfordshire
Cyber Security Architect
CYBER EXECS - London (Greater)
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Tesco Bank allegedly ignored warnings of hack from Visa
- Updated: A million German routers knocked offline by failed Mirai botnet attack
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Cyber-security must reflect risk not just regulation
- Shodan finds confidential Europol terrorist dossiers
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- Microsoft Office 365 hit with massive Cerber ransomware attack, report