Akonix L7 Enforcer and L7 Enterprise
August 25, 2005
Akonix Systems Inc.Product:
licenses for 1,000 users: L7 Enforcer server $2,000, $5 per seat; L7 Enterprise server $3,000, $25 per seat
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
The system provides comprehensive security features for IM systems.
The system makes no provision for non-Windows systems.
Comprehensive, well-integrated system for managing IM security.
These complementary products from Akonix make up a comprehensive communications security system. The Enforcer module is an enterprise-level server that provides security services for both instant messaging and peer-to-peer systems, while L7 Enterprise, in conjunction with the Enforcer, provides control and reporting facilities as well as creating, applying and maintaining security policies for applications and users.
L7 Enterprise would normally be installed on a different system to the one running the Enforcer software, although it is possible to install both on the same system. The software has other modules that enable it to manage other instant messaging servers such as Microsoft's Live Communications Server and IBM's Lotus IM Server.
Instant messaging clients need to be configured to use the Akonix Gateway service, which can involve a certain amount of Windows Registry modification to achieve the desired result. Akonix provides example scripts for the common Windows IM clients, and these should require little modification to match your site requirements.
IM file transfers can be checked for viruses using Symantec's scanning software, and the system offers four options for dealing with infected files – clean the file, delete it, quarantine it or pass it on to the intended recipient, with or without warning messages to administrators or end users.
Scanning can be restricted to specified file extensions or applied to every type of file, and warning messages can be customized. The system also has an "inappropriate language" filter that can check message texts. The filter's word list can be modified as required.
All options can be configured and applied using a system of policies that can be applied from a global level right down to an individual user.
With reporting facilities that can generate reports ranging in detail from a high-level overview of activity by protocol down to detailed reports of individual user conversations, the system provides comprehensive auditing options.
These can be modified to suit individual needs, and a wizard is available to help generate site-specific report templates.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Junior Penetration Tester, Hertfordshire, to £35k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Hertfordshire
Cyber Security Architect
CYBER EXECS - London (Greater)
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £47-56k + package
Infosec People - Hampshire, England, Aldershot
Senior Security Engineer
Loveworklife Recruitment - United Kingdom
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Tesco Bank allegedly ignored warnings of hack from Visa
- Investigatory Powers and Digital Economy Bills could threaten economy
- Updated: A million German routers knocked offline by failed Mirai botnet attack
- Microsoft update left Azure Linux virtual machines open to hacking
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- ICYMI: CEO Sacked; MS Zero-day; Passwords dropped; Ransomware wild, charging hack
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- ICYMI: Tesco warned; IP Bill threatens economy; German routers offline; Azure trojan; Gooligan fraud
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- 90% of ITDMs believe IAM is crucial to digital transformation success
- Research: Hacked companies could see customer exodus if breached
- Misconfigured drive exposes locations of explosives used by oil industry