Astaro Security Gateway 320
March 01, 2008
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Fully comprehensive UTM with many other features
- Weaknesses: Nothing we found
- Verdict: A fully loaded gateway security device at a not so fully loaded price. Recommended
To call the Astaro Security Gateway appliance just a UTM would be a major understatement. This product can be loaded with so many feature sets that it could become the only security appliance needed for total protection. This device includes standard UTM features such as a firewall, basic anti-virus and an IPS as well as many enhanced features. These include IM and P2P filtering, plus web security such as web-based virus and spyware protection plus web content filtering. It also offers email security that not only covers protection from viruses, spam and phishing, but also provides seamless email encryption using OpenPGP, S/MIME and TLS encryption standards.
We found this product simple to deploy and operate. The initial installation and deployment takes just a few minutes and is guided by an easy-to-follow setup wizard via a web browser. Once the wizard is complete, all that is left to do is activate the specific filters and modules and choose a few. The web GUI for administration is also quite easy to use.
This product performed well throughout our test procedure. All security features on offer are easily set up and integrated into the current environment with almost no interruption. We were not able to get past the device with any of our attacks or scans.
Documentation comes in the shape of three manuals. A fold-out quick-start card gives clear steps and illustrations for getting the box connected to the network. A set of operating instructions overlaps with parts of the quick-start card, providing more detail as well as complete deployment instructions. Finally, the administration guide goes into great detail about configuration and operating the various features of the appliance. All guides are well organised and easy to understand.
Along with 24/7 phone and email support, Astaro offers various options via its website, such as a knowledge base, product announcements, a filtering test site and access to a customer support portal that is set up to the customer's specific support needs.
At £3,968, the Astaro Security Gateway is excellent value for money. It solves many security problems without a high price tag, so it is within reach for many different types of environments.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Information Security Risk Manager, £45-55k + bens
Infosec People - West Midlands, England, Coventry
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £55-63k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Aldershot, Hampshire
Security Architect, Cardiff - to £70k Basic
Infosec People - Cardiff, Wales
Interim CISO (Chief Information Security Officer) - Cyber Security Director
CYBER EXECS - London (Central), London (Greater)
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Tesco Bank allegedly ignored warnings of hack from Visa
- Updated: A million German routers knocked offline by failed Mirai botnet attack
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Cyber-security must reflect risk not just regulation
- Met Police grab suspect with phone unlocked to get hold of data
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- Microsoft Office 365 hit with massive Cerber ransomware attack, report