Astaro Security Gateway
July 01, 2010
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: A lot of features and an intuitive web interface
- Weaknesses: Options raise the price a bit
- Verdict: A solid product and good value, especially given the rich feature set and ease of deployment
Astaro Security Gateway provides a comprehensive set of protection features. It attacks threats on three main fronts that include network, mail and web security. It includes a firewall, IPS, anti-malware scanning at the gateway, web content filtering, VPN, SSL remote access, email encryption and IM/P2P filtering.
We found this product to be quite simple to deploy and configure. The initial deployment is done by connecting the appliance to the network and then using a network-connected computer to access the web-based admin console.
At first login the administrator sets the host name and admin passwords and then the main dashboard can be accessed. We found the dashboard and web GUI to be easy to use. The initial setup is guided by a wizard from the web GUI that guides through steps to get a basic configuration up and running.
After the initial setup was complete, we found it quite easy to move around the interface and fine-tune settings and perform advanced configuration. We also found the main dashboard to provide an excellent overview of what services were running, off, or needed configuration.
Documentation included a quick-start guide and a full PDF administrator guide. The quick-start guide provided the steps necessary to get the product connected to the network and get access to the web console. The administrator guide included all of the rest of the setup and configuration information, including advance configuration. Both of the guides had clear step-by-step instructions, screenshots, examples and diagrams.
Astaro offers free access to a support knowledgebase and a user forum. Phone and other support options can be purchased as part of an agreement. Phone options include both 12/5 and 24/7 assistance, depending on the support plan. There are also other resources available on the website, such as how-to videos that users can access at no cost.
At a price starting at c£825 and moving up to about c£2,030 fully loaded, we find Astaro Security Gateway to be good value for the money. It offers a lot of features in an easy to use and easy to manage appliance.
SC Webcasts UK
Sign up to our newsletters
DV Cleared Systems Architect - 6 Months - London
Computerfutures - London (North), London (Greater)
CISO – Chief Information Security Officer (Up to £100K)
Evolution Recruitment - London (North), London (Greater)
Head of Security Strategy – London
Evolution Recruitment - London (West), London (Greater)
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Associate Professor in Cyber Security and Networking
Edinburgh Napier University - Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Russia's Central Bank introduces new mandatory cyber-security regulations
- Singapore to shut off internet access for government agencies
- Epic hack, thousands of salted logins stolen
- 6 in 10 universities hit by ransomware, 2/3 hit multiple times
- What exactly will this new bill of rights mean for privacy laws within the UK?
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- Microsoft ends common password use and password lockout
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- 1.5 billion Windows computers potentially affected by unpatched 0-day exploit
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- ICYMI: Russian banks, Singapore, ransomware on campus, gaming hacks and more Snowden
- Advocacy groups urge FCC in the US to address connected car technology threat
- Lost devices leading cause of data breaches, report
- WhatsApp to share customer data with Facebook
- Hackers exploit vBulletin flaw to access 27M accounts on 11 websites