October 30, 2009
AS5005 is £4,830 for 500 users
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Goes beyond the surface and looks at registry entries and services
- Weaknesses: We would have liked to see a user or administrator guide, rather than just a help feature
- Verdict: A good product that needs more comprehensive documentation
Avenda's eTIPS appliance provides a solid platform for network access control. With it, system administrators can set policies for wired, wireless and VPN network access and make sure a system meets health requirements before being allowed to join the network.
The appliance can check for the usual suspects such as operating system values, hot fixes, and anti-virus, anti-spyware and firewall status. It can also go deeper and check for various registry entries and running services.
Setup of this appliance was quite straightforward. Once it was connected and powered up, we simply connected to it via a console session where we were presented with a short setup wizard that guided us through setting up the general network information. After we completed the initial setup wizard, we were able to connect the web GUI of the appliance.
After logging in to the interface, we were presented with a list of steps to begin configuring the various network devices and policies. The overall layout of the GUI was simple and intuitive to navigate and the main dashboard is customisable, with many drag-and-drop monitors and modules.
Avenda eTIPS has 802.1X, SNMP enforcement, Radius and TACACS+ capability, as well as port mapping and vulnerability scanning built in. It also features the ability to run a policy simulation before it is deployed and there are many deployment templates included.
The only documentation provided was a short quick-start guide, which provided step-by-step instructions on how to connect to the appliance for the initial network configuration and then access the web GUI for the first time. From there, the documentation is provided as context-sensitive help via the web interface.
Avenda provides standard and premium support plans for 15 per cent and 20 per cent respectively of the list price. These options include 8/5 or 24/7 phone and email technical support, as well as remote diagnostics, updates and return and repair services. There is a small support area on the website that includes various datasheets and other resources.
At a price of £4,830 for 500 users for the AS5005, this product is good value for the money. It provides a solid set of access and management controls that are easy to implement and manage.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Junior Penetration Tester, Hertfordshire, to £35k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Hertfordshire
Cyber Security Architect
CYBER EXECS - London (Greater)
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £47-56k + package
Infosec People - Hampshire, England, Aldershot
Senior Security Engineer
Loveworklife Recruitment - United Kingdom
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Tesco Bank allegedly ignored warnings of hack from Visa
- Investigatory Powers and Digital Economy Bills could threaten economy
- Updated: A million German routers knocked offline by failed Mirai botnet attack
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Microsoft update left Azure Linux virtual machines open to hacking
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- Microsoft Office 365 hit with massive Cerber ransomware attack, report
- ICYMI: Tesco warned; IP Bill threatens economy; German routers offline; Azure trojan; Gooligan fraud
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- 90% of ITDMs believe IAM is crucial to digital transformation success
- Research: Hacked companies could see customer exodus if breached
- Misconfigured drive exposes locations of explosives used by oil industry