AVG Internet Security Business Edition 9.0
May 06, 2010
£751.99 for 25 users for one-year subscription (inc. VAT)
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Good layered malware solution for server and workstation systems
- Weaknesses: Light on reporting, scripting tools for rootkit/zero-hour threat
- Verdict: Strong enterprise solution that provides a lot of protection without heavy overhead, winning it our Recommended award
AVG Internet Security Business Edition 9.0 incorporates several components. First, AVG DataCenter consists of a database and AVG Admin Server, which performs the role of a mediator between the DataCenter and AVG stations. Second, the AVG Admin Console is a program for the administration of AVG stations. It communicates directly with the Admin Server to approach the DataCenter database and to centrally define settings for stations. AVG stations approach the Admin Server to read the setup parameters, and to save their currently defined setting and scan results into the DataCenter.
For scalability, these various server roles can be deployed separately or on a single device.
The product delivers anti-spam, anti-spyware, LinkScanner and anti-rootkit protection. The server-side installation was automated and included a Firebird database. Optional databases supported included SQL Server Express, MS SQL, Oracle and MySQL 5.
Once loaded, the remaining configuration of AVG is wizard-driven, including a remote installer wizard that helped with the installation of the program on remote systems.
Discovery of workstations was supported through Domain, Active Directory or IP discovery. We did have to enable ping (ICMP) on the remote stations to use the discovery.
The admin interface was easy to use and provided us with everything we needed to configure and manage our endpoints. The product delivers centralised configuration, management and alerting and updated reporting. It also includes: one-stop licence management; remote installation and repair; security policy enforcement; an update manager; and rescue CD creation options. Communication between server and stations is encrypted.
Other new features in version 9.0 include a high-speed
anti-virus/anti-spyware scanner, firewall, and phishing protection.
We did not review the email scanner for MS Exchange, the anti-spam server or the document scanner for MS SharePoint, but these features were all available for use with the base product.
SC Webcasts UK
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Security researcher blasts United Airlines' bug bounty programme
- Video: Young and gifted codebreakers compete in cyber-security masterclass final
- Five last minute retail risk mitigations for Black Friday weekend
- Anonymous' Twitter war hits stumbling block
- New Destover malware features two new timestomping utilities
- ISSE Berlin: Germany to promote 'digital sovereignty'
- Purchasing cyber-insurance without a proven security system will leave businesses out of pocket
- Sophisticated Apple Phishing Email making the rounds
- ISSE Berlin: Safe Harbour II initial agreement expected
- 2015 worst year in history for Mac malware