BarbedWire Technologies DP Inspector
June 05, 2004
BarbedWire Technologies Inc.Product:
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
: This firewall has a number of useful features and configuration options.
: The system requires some familiarity with Linux to make use of some of its features.
: Its WiFi/LAN Authentication feature adds an important capability to an already useful system.
There were some minor discrepancies between the documentation and the browser interface but these were easily resolved. The system can be used as a firewall or as an intrusion detection system (IDS) and is pre-configured as an IDS. We re-configured it as a firewall. BWTracker, the browser-based interface, was easy to navigate.
The main documentation is on a CD. The online help in BWTracker is a keyword search engine that can access the firewall help files as well as system documentation and can also link to Google. BWTracker also provides access to the operating system administration functions, including the Apache web server and the MySQL database engine, integral parts of the system.
Curiously, the firewall is not activated when the device boots up and has to be started from the browser interface. This can be changed in the boot-up procedure so that the firewall will start when the device starts (a better idea).
Our port scans were unable to detect any open ports once this was done. Software modules, called "softblades" plug in to the system to provide support for functions like content filtering.
BarbedWire offers a WiFi/LAN Authentication softblade, which adds a level of security to wireless and wired networks to counter spoofing and ARP poisoning. This is important due to the proliferation of wireless devices with their own security requirements.
Reports are available for traffic and system monitoring and they are highly configurable.
VPN setup is a straightforward matter using the VPN softblade management interface. Firewall management is well organized, enabling the administrator to configure networks, hosts and zones very easily. Rules can be maintained in a similar way.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Junior Penetration Tester, Hertfordshire, to £35k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Hertfordshire
Cyber Security Architect
CYBER EXECS - London (Greater)
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £47-56k + package
Infosec People - Hampshire, England, Aldershot
Senior Security Engineer
Loveworklife Recruitment - United Kingdom
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Tesco Bank allegedly ignored warnings of hack from Visa
- Investigatory Powers and Digital Economy Bills could threaten economy
- Updated: A million German routers knocked offline by failed Mirai botnet attack
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Microsoft update left Azure Linux virtual machines open to hacking
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- ICYMI: CEO Sacked; MS Zero-day; Passwords dropped; Ransomware wild, charging hack
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- ICYMI: Tesco warned; IP Bill threatens economy; German routers offline; Azure trojan; Gooligan fraud
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- 90% of ITDMs believe IAM is crucial to digital transformation success
- Research: Hacked companies could see customer exodus if breached
- Misconfigured drive exposes locations of explosives used by oil industry