Barracuda Web FIlter 310
May 03, 2010
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Easy to manage and highly customisable
- Weaknesses: Nothing that we found
- Verdict: For its ease of use and value for money, we rate this our Best Buy
Barracuda Web Filter 310 provides solid protection against web-based threats such as viruses, worms and spyware. This combines a fully customisable web filter with a robust policy engine that can be configured for granular policy control across any type of environment.
Setup is straightforward and the appliance is configured and running with a base policy in minutes. The initial configuration is done by connecting a monitor and keyboard to the device and setting up the IP and network information. After this is complete all other administration is done through the web interface. We found this to be easy to use, with just a small learning curve.
The appliance comes configured with a fairly solid default policy, but tweaking or even starting with an entirely custom policy is quite simple. Policies can be designed for various groups, including users authenticated through Active Directory. These policies can include many options above just web content and URL filtering, including file type blocking and application blocking to further prevent possible infection from dangerous web activity.
The web filter also constantly updates itself with new spyware websites, spyware rules and algorithms and virus definitions to ensure the latest threats are defended against.
Documentation provided with this product included a quick-start guide that details the steps necessary to configure the appliance for the network environment and access the web-based interface. From there, an administrator guide containing screenshots and diagrams takes over and provides detailed advance configuration and policy management instructions.
Barracuda provides three levels of support that include basic, enhanced and premium. Each of these includes various types of phone and email technical support, as well as access to updates, hardware replacement services, support engineers and monitoring services. There is also a large support area on the website available at no cost that includes documentation downloads, a knowledgebase and other resources.
At a price just under £1,700 we find Barracuda Web Filter 310 to be excellent value for the money. It provides solid malware protection at the gateway, along with extensive web management capabilities.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Junior Penetration Tester, Hertfordshire, to £35k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Hertfordshire
Cyber Security Architect
CYBER EXECS - London (Greater)
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £47-56k + package
Infosec People - Hampshire, England, Aldershot
Senior Security Engineer
Loveworklife Recruitment - United Kingdom
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Tesco Bank allegedly ignored warnings of hack from Visa
- Investigatory Powers and Digital Economy Bills could threaten economy
- Updated: A million German routers knocked offline by failed Mirai botnet attack
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Microsoft update left Azure Linux virtual machines open to hacking
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- Microsoft Office 365 hit with massive Cerber ransomware attack, report
- ICYMI: Tesco warned; IP Bill threatens economy; German routers offline; Azure trojan; Gooligan fraud
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- 90% of ITDMs believe IAM is crucial to digital transformation success
- Research: Hacked companies could see customer exodus if breached
- Misconfigured drive exposes locations of explosives used by oil industry