June 28, 2004
500 users costs $1.42 per user per month ($8,520 p.a.)
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
Very good management front-end with great reporting.
Mail throughput was unimpressive.
Strong managed service striking a good balance with user-friendliness.
The interface is engaging, with the first screen offering a dashboard view of the service's ongoing activities. Graphs show volumes of mail, spam and viruses received, for the customer and for the service across all its customers.
The interface is good through all parts of the service but is sometimes slow to refresh pages which are drawing on a lot of data. Some cosmetic improvements could be made. The quarantine, for example, shows "1-10" but omits "...of 1000."
User groups can be filtered according to specific needs and usernames can be entered the hard way or uploaded as a CSV file. We can imagine this becoming difficult to manage for a large organization with a dynamic user base. Keeping track of group aliases is easier, and MailControl provides a convenient interface to manage aliases.
Multiple domains can be controlled from the customer's environment, with separate policies for each. Multiple admin accounts can be created and the system keeps an audit trail of what modifications are made, when and by whom. Spam rules are limited. The threshold and basic actions can be set, but direct control over the scoring mechanisms is not available.
It took a long time to establish connections to BlackSpider's servers. Once connected though, mail transferred slowly but within acceptable limits and consistently.
The filter was accurate, catching more spam than other services and with a minimum of false positives. Users receive an email update on a periodic basis with a breakdown of messages and their scores, with links to view each message online and update white/blacklists.
This goes a long way to delivering what we want from a MSP. Performance could have been better, but the filter was very good. All-around, a solid performer.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Junior Penetration Tester, Hertfordshire, to £35k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Hertfordshire
Cyber Security Architect
CYBER EXECS - London (Greater)
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £47-56k + package
Infosec People - Hampshire, England, Aldershot
Senior Security Engineer
Loveworklife Recruitment - United Kingdom
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Tesco Bank allegedly ignored warnings of hack from Visa
- Investigatory Powers and Digital Economy Bills could threaten economy
- Updated: A million German routers knocked offline by failed Mirai botnet attack
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Microsoft update left Azure Linux virtual machines open to hacking
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- Microsoft Office 365 hit with massive Cerber ransomware attack, report
- ICYMI: Tesco warned; IP Bill threatens economy; German routers offline; Azure trojan; Gooligan fraud
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- 90% of ITDMs believe IAM is crucial to digital transformation success
- Research: Hacked companies could see customer exodus if breached
- Misconfigured drive exposes locations of explosives used by oil industry