Blue Coat ProxySG 400
August 27, 2004
Blue Coat SystemsProduct:
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
Powerful security device offering comprehensive protection and management of web-based threats. Remote management option will appeal to organizations with remote offices.
The cost of this unit could be a problem for smaller firms.
A solidly constructed and extremely well specified gateway that covers all the web security bases for small enterprises.
This appliance is designed to offer enterprise-class protection by creating an internet gateway between a private corporate network and the public internet. It is targeted at small enterprises and branch office environments.
The well-designed and sturdy 1U rack-mountable unit ships with 512MB of main RAM memory and an 80GB hard drive. It uses a high-performance, object-based operating system that incorporates integrated caching functionality to boost web access speeds.
It provides security functionality and content filtering designed to monitor unauthorized use of IM and P2P within organizations. It can also be configured with additional anti-virus modules that block the entry of malicious code via backdoors introduced by P2P, email and IM. This is achieved through integration with the company's ProxyAV service, which supports a choice of engines to scan web content in real time.
ProxySG is capable of blocking access to website administrators deemed undesirable and block file downloads based on their content type. The device can filter based on common internet protocols, including: http and https; ftp; Telnet; SOCKS; common IM services such as those offered by Yahoo!, AOL, Microsoft IM; P2P networks such as Kazaa and Morpheus and multimedia applications including Windows Media Player, Real Player and Quicktime.
Installation was surprisingly simple for such a high-end device. The first stage involved setting the unit up on the network with an initial static IP address, and configuring subnets, gateway and DNS parameters. It is then necessary to set up the actual policies via the well-designed web-based management console. The uncluttered interface offers functional options, including IM logging and management; proxy support control for the comprehensive range of protocols; content filtering; management of streaming content, and P2P.
As part of the warranty, users are given limited access to maintenance software releases from Blue Coat's support website.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Junior Penetration Tester, Hertfordshire, to £35k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Hertfordshire
Cyber Security Architect
CYBER EXECS - London (Greater)
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £47-56k + package
Infosec People - Hampshire, England, Aldershot
Senior Security Engineer
Loveworklife Recruitment - United Kingdom
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Tesco Bank allegedly ignored warnings of hack from Visa
- Investigatory Powers and Digital Economy Bills could threaten economy
- Updated: A million German routers knocked offline by failed Mirai botnet attack
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Microsoft update left Azure Linux virtual machines open to hacking
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- Microsoft Office 365 hit with massive Cerber ransomware attack, report
- ICYMI: Tesco warned; IP Bill threatens economy; German routers offline; Azure trojan; Gooligan fraud
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- 90% of ITDMs believe IAM is crucial to digital transformation success
- Research: Hacked companies could see customer exodus if breached
- Misconfigured drive exposes locations of explosives used by oil industry