June 28, 2004
$7,500, with $1,500 per year maintenance fee, or a license for the software costs $5,000 per year
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
Easy to set up, comfortable to navigate, and it really streamlined the complex process of intrusion prevention without losing functionality.
One of the best in terms of usage and installation.
The main menu summarizes the IPS's state using a simple red, yellow, or green traffic signal light. Whenever data could be modified, however, Border Guard displayed context-sensitive help adjacent to the field. The explanations were easy to understand and did not require extreme technical acumen.
Border Guard was easy to understand and navigate. The embedded documentation protects the operator in a friendly manner from committing casual errors. Although an IPS (by definition) must provide a plethora of options and switches, Border Guard earns the highest approval ratings for its skill in concealing or revealing the internal details of an IPS, as well as guiding users at crucial stages. An unskilled user can install it in 30 minutes.
There are several ways to access the IPS. The product provides an application programming interface at the process-to-process level. From an end-user perspective, multiple consoles can be running simultaneously. When multiple users are logged into the same account, the first can write but the others are restricted to "read only."
Border Guard does not include a scripting language, but operators can customize rules through the user interface. Rules are based on Snort commands and are customized by modifying an existing rule. The device responded quickly and effectively to events.
Printed user documentation is plentiful and can also be downloaded from the website. Telephone, email and online support is available. StillSecure's technicians were available and responsive. Support staff were competent and polite on the phone.
The product is supplied as software only, so performance depends a great deal upon the platform on which it is installed.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Security Architect, Cardiff - to £70k Basic
Infosec People - Cardiff, Wales
Interim CISO (Chief Information Security Officer) - Cyber Security Director
CYBER EXECS - London (Central), London (Greater)
Junior Penetration Tester, Hertfordshire, to £35k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Hertfordshire
Cyber Security Architect
CYBER EXECS - London (Greater)
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Tesco Bank allegedly ignored warnings of hack from Visa
- Updated: A million German routers knocked offline by failed Mirai botnet attack
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Cyber-security must reflect risk not just regulation
- Met Police grab suspect with phone unlocked to get hold of data
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- Microsoft Office 365 hit with massive Cerber ransomware attack, report