CeeloxID - Server Edition
March 01, 2010
From c£61.40 per user for up to 25 users
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Full biometric logon and single sign-on, good documentation, one year's free technical support
- Weaknesses: Slightly difficult to install and configure, administration not easy
- Verdict: Ease of use could improve but overall a good fingerprint scanner
CeeloxID provides biometric fingerprint scanning for workstation domain logon, as well as single sign-on to programs and websites, all provided in one centrally manageable application.
This edition even goes so far as to cache credentials both on the server and locally on the machine, so a user can use the biometric if disconnected from the network. Security risks of caching the template are basically eliminated by using AES 256-bit encryption to store the bio-template.
We found this product to be of average difficulty to install. The initial installation and configuration has many steps and there are a few things that must be done to configure Active Directory to prepare for the server software. After this is prepared and the server software installed, the client software must be installed on the client machines and the scanners. All these installations are guided by easy-to-follow setup wizards.
CeeloxID plugs into the existing Active Directory infrastructure and inherits all of the existing access rights of users and groups. We found it to be very flexible, with integration across multiple Windows operating systems, as well as Citrix and various programs and web applications.
Documentation is in the form of two PDF manuals. The first is an administrator guide, which provides a good amount of detail on installing and configuring both the server and Active Directory portions of the product. The second is the user guide that details installing and configuring the clients and setting up users for enrolment. Both guides include many screenshots, step-by-step instructions and examples.
Ceelox provides the first year of technical support free with purchase of the product. After the first year, additional support can be purchased on an annual basis, with pricing based on the size of the deployment. This includes 8/5 phone and email technical assistance. Ceelox also provides a free support area on its website which includes product documentation and downloads.
We find CeeloxID to be average value for the money. It does have some good features but it is a little difficult to deploy and has a slight learning curve in terms of its administration.
SC Webcasts UK
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Two-year GDPR honeymoon period starts today
- It's a trap! WhatsApp Gold 'premium' version lures users to malware
- Surrey teenager charged under Computer Misuse Act over Mumsnet hack
- Cerber ransomware on sale in Russian darknet with new scripting features
- Netflix's VPN ban may result in stronger security for VPN customers
- Microsoft warns of new, self-propagating ransomware in the wild
- New Locky ransomware campaign sets sights on Amazon customers
- State Dept. criticised for poor records management, Clinton broke rules, IG report says
- Prioritising threat intelligence
- Email error leaks hundreds of Northern Ireland prison officer details