Check Point Power-1 5070
January 01, 2009
Check Point Software Technologies Ltd.Product:
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Tried and true protection
- Weaknesses: Licensing has always been the bane of Check Point products
- Verdict: Among the network-based firewalls, Check Point is first rate and the yardstick to measure other products against
The first conference I attended was a Check Point conference in 1996. Since Check Point pioneered stateful inspection, it seemed that a good portion of the conference was devoted to explaining the new technology.
Since Check Point was the leader in 1996, the question inevitably arises: what has Check Point done in the intervening period to handle the many emerging threats?
The days of simple port filtering are long gone and the Power-1 encompasses a wide array of features, which include SSL VPNs, web security, anti-virus, anti-spyware and anti-spam. Check Point has a few quite unique components to current offerings of application intelligence, which is now a component of Smart Defense.
Check Point also offers the ability to block IP addresses from the real-time log for a specified period. This is often handy when so called 'Asian' attackers are trying to compromise a website; the attackers may not actually hail from Asia because the attackers may be using a proxy to hide the true IP address.
Check Point is also a superior firewall device from the logging perspective. Check Point logs are in standard pcap format, so they can be imported into utilities such as packet sniffers. In addition, the logs from Check Point are among the most detailed available.
Check Point's documentation has been much better recently. It used to come in a complete set of books, but now it has been moved over to soft copy on a CD.
Support is offered through phone, email and its website. The hardware is covered by warranty for three years, starting from the date of registration or 75 days after the product is purchased.
Check Point support options range from the standard support plan that provides telephone assistance during normal business hours to the premium support plan providing 24/7 assistance.*
There are two products in the Power-1 range from Check Point: the 5070 (firewall throughput of 9Gbps) and the 9070 (14Gbps). The Power-1 5070 under review is priced at £24,313, which makes it in the upper middle class of products in this test.
*In the US. Please contact regional office for support details for the UK and rest of Europe.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Interim CISO (Chief Information Security Officer) - Cyber Security Director
CYBER EXECS - London (Central), London (Greater)
Junior Penetration Tester, Hertfordshire, to £35k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Hertfordshire
Cyber Security Architect
CYBER EXECS - London (Greater)
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £47-56k + package
Infosec People - Hampshire, England, Aldershot
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Tesco Bank allegedly ignored warnings of hack from Visa
- Investigatory Powers and Digital Economy Bills could threaten economy
- Updated: A million German routers knocked offline by failed Mirai botnet attack
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Microsoft update left Azure Linux virtual machines open to hacking
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- Microsoft Office 365 hit with massive Cerber ransomware attack, report
- The information security implications of M&A deals
- Cyber-security must reflect risk not just regulation
- ICYMI: Tesco warned; IP Bill threatens economy; German routers offline; Azure trojan; Gooligan fraud
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- 90% of ITDMs believe IAM is crucial to digital transformation success