CloudLock Information Security Suite for Google Apps
June 04, 2013
c£18.50 per user per year
- Strengths: Full suite of security tools for use with Google Apps
- Verdict: We liked its applicability to an important cloud-based environment that behaves similarly to what administrators are used to in the physical data centre
One of the major issues in cloud-based security is that it is very hard to do. For lots of reasons, many from the business perspective, it is difficult to make the cloud as secure as the on-premise data centre. There are lots of things that go into security, as we all know, and the objective of any cloud-based product must be to make the cloud as secure as the data centre. Additionally, to be truly effective that security should behave and be manageable in much the same manner as the data centre. CloudLock is, by these measures, truly effective.
CloudLock provides data privacy, governance and management, as well as account protection and external application management and governance. Google Apps is the only environment supported currently, but there are more on the drawing board. CloudLock uses the Google Apps API to collect necessary metadata and apply that to the product's rules engine. This allows most of the same security functions - when working in the cloud - as organisations are accustomed to in their data centres.
For example, because data moves through the security protection, CloudLock can do such things as data leakage prevention, identifying such things as personally identifiable information. It can enforce acceptable use policies and is content aware.
The product is policy driven. Its dashboards for analysis and policy development are simple, to the point and easy for the administrator to use. In addition to the general tools, CloudLock provides a robust application firewall. This facilitates application-level access control, which is necessary due to the application environment being outside of the organisation's physical control.
One strong function is its ability to examine how other organisations are treating a particular application residing within Google Apps. Users can be restricted from accessing particular applications (the app is banned), so it is helpful to know what the community at large is doing about allowing access. Community trust rating communicates that information to the administrator to assist in determining what apps should be allowed and which should be banned.
We liked this tool for its direct applicability to an important cloud environment. We also liked its comfortable look and feel.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Junior Penetration Tester, Hertfordshire, to £35k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Hertfordshire
Cyber Security Architect
CYBER EXECS - London (Greater)
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £47-56k + package
Infosec People - Hampshire, England, Aldershot
Senior Security Engineer
Loveworklife Recruitment - United Kingdom
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Tesco Bank allegedly ignored warnings of hack from Visa
- Investigatory Powers and Digital Economy Bills could threaten economy
- Updated: A million German routers knocked offline by failed Mirai botnet attack
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Microsoft update left Azure Linux virtual machines open to hacking
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- Microsoft Office 365 hit with massive Cerber ransomware attack, report
- ICYMI: Tesco warned; IP Bill threatens economy; German routers offline; Azure trojan; Gooligan fraud
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- 90% of ITDMs believe IAM is crucial to digital transformation success
- Research: Hacked companies could see customer exodus if breached
- Misconfigured drive exposes locations of explosives used by oil industry