June 01, 2004
$8-$10 per seat
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
Very fast scanning.
Excellent first line of defense at the mail gateway.
Downtime is worth comparing. Many Windows products required two reboots, resulting in the entire server being offline for several minutes. In contrast, the Sendmail restart took less than half a second, affecting no other services at all.
A single configuration file controls all basic functions and we were concerned that, in its shipping form, the file is world readable and contains the admin password in clear text – a disastrous oversight. Spam rules are also in text files but the product has a web GUI to manage rules and quarantine.
The GUI is simple but perfectly adequate. A counter keeps track of how much money your organization has saved (according to factors supplied by the user), which is functionally pointless but the feedback managers love so you might find it handy when pushing for funds.
Spam scores are assigned according to the usual rules and a number of thresholds can be set corresponding to the score each message receives. Each threshold then has a single action associated with it, to delete or quarantine the message. This limits the functionality a little but for everyday use it is fine. Control over actual scoring is not available to the user, which could cause problems for organizations needing greater flexibility.
In action, the filter is blazingly fast. The software chewed through several thousand test messages with almost no discernable impact on sendmail and no queue backlog.
Users can manage their quarantined messages online though the interface is clumsy. Only 25 messages can be deleted at a time and one is a lucky user if he is not getting more spam than that.
If you have a sendmail gateway, this would be an excellent first line of defense. For added flexibility, you may want additional protection.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Information Security Risk Manager, £45-55k + bens
Infosec People - West Midlands, England, Coventry
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £55-63k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Aldershot, Hampshire
Security Architect, Cardiff - to £70k Basic
Infosec People - Cardiff, Wales
Interim CISO (Chief Information Security Officer) - Cyber Security Director
CYBER EXECS - London (Central), London (Greater)
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Met Police grab suspect with phone unlocked to get hold of data
- Cyber-security must reflect risk not just regulation
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- The information security implications of M&A deals
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- Microsoft Office 365 hit with massive Cerber ransomware attack, report
- Over 400,000 phishing sites have been detected each month in 2016
- TalkTalk customers urged to get routers swapped over hacker fears
- Report: Mirai 'is just the tip of the iceberg'
- Avalanche takedown involved searches in 40 countries
- India Supreme Court calls on tech giants to curb sexual assault, cyber-crime