The adoption of EMV in the US is quickly closing off the lucrative trade in card details, driving up the price of stolen data.
Worldpay's electronic payment gateway setup pages offer poor security seals on credit card details, according to a security researcher.
ThreatMetrix's new report has come up with several new insights from the last quarter including the evolution of bot tactics to avoid the traditional defences of lenders and banks.
Worldpay, a payment processing technology company, said it's researching using facial recognition in stores around the UK as a card fraud preventative measure.
A new credit card-stealing attack is underway on the eBay Magento e-commerce platform, which is used by more than 240,000 businesses worldwide.
Matthew Bryars, CEO of Aeriandi, analyses the threat of insider fraud and what contact centres can do to minimise risk
eBay's e-commerce platform Magento has a critical remote code execution (RCE) flaw, which could be used by hackers to remotely compromise up to 200,000 online stores in order to steal credit card details and personal information.
The retail industry is a common target for hackers, mainly because that's where the money is. But as Sophos security expert James Lyne demonstrates, their defences are all too often easily exploitable.
A team of Dutch scientists is proposing a new security system for credit cards and passports which uses the power of quantum physics - and which is apparently 'impossible to hack'.
The underground hacker market has become so commercialised that cyber-criminals are offering "100% satisfaction" guarantees on stolen credit cards, or they will be replaced.
Russian banks to share attack details via IT security centre for the banking sector.
New research claims to quantify the scale of card fraud in Russian speaking circles. And according to Group-IB's analysis over the last year, that fraud clocks in at a hefty £420 million (US $680 million).
The Home Depot card data breach may have continued for longer than the Target attack late last year, according to new reports.
Banking and card fraud back on the rise again says the FFA UK as crime increasingly moves online.
All 2,200 Home Depot stores may be affected by the latest credit card hack suggests security researcher Brian Krebs.
This development represents something of a shift in hacker methodology - Nigel Stanley, Incoming Thought CEO/analyst
Complete counterfeit card production kits confiscated - plans to draw cash at magnetic stripe card-using ATMs in Asia thwarted
Use of tokens is one of the ways we might limit the amount of sensitive data linked to our cards suggests Tim Critchley.
Last week's reports of Anonymous Ukraine obtaining and leaking seven million credit card details may be erroneous, with the data having apparently been disclosed in older data breaches.
Anonymous Ukraine says that it has information on "more than 800 million credit cards", and has leaked the first million of those with Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover accounts onto a public forum.
South Korea's regulators say that 20 million bank and credit card users have been compromised
Target card breach, "echoes of the infamous TJ Maxx incident of 2005" - Graham Cluley.
As Royal Mail issues phishing warning, a Manchester-based phishing scammer is jailed for three-and-a-half years.
UK banks NatWest and the Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) are facing up to their second cyber attack in the space of a week, with their customers unable to access their online banking accounts.
European Payment Services (EPS) in Berkshire has become the first vendor to have its point-to-point encryption (P2PE) hardware certified under global security standards used to protect consumer card data.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Junior Penetration Tester, Hertfordshire, to £35k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Hertfordshire
Cyber Security Architect
CYBER EXECS - London (Greater)
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £47-56k + package
Infosec People - Hampshire, England, Aldershot
Senior Security Engineer
Loveworklife Recruitment - United Kingdom
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Tesco Bank allegedly ignored warnings of hack from Visa
- Investigatory Powers and Digital Economy Bills could threaten economy
- Updated: A million German routers knocked offline by failed Mirai botnet attack
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Microsoft update left Azure Linux virtual machines open to hacking
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- ICYMI: CEO Sacked; MS Zero-day; Passwords dropped; Ransomware wild, charging hack
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- ICYMI: Tesco warned; IP Bill threatens economy; German routers offline; Azure trojan; Gooligan fraud
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- 90% of ITDMs believe IAM is crucial to digital transformation success
- Research: Hacked companies could see customer exodus if breached
- Misconfigured drive exposes locations of explosives used by oil industry