Chief constable Stephen Kavanagh tells techUK's Partners Against Crime seminar that the police need to engage more effectively with the private sector in developing new crime fighting capabilities.
For the first time cyber offences are to be included in official UK crime statistics, painting a very different picture of who is being victimised and how.
New cyber-attacks by Chinese and others criminals are exploiting the Adobe Flash zero-days leaked through the recent Hacking Team breach - prompting calls for Flash to be "put out to pasture".
Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond called for the security agencies to be given the powers and technology needed to match the foes they face - while subject to parliamentary oversight.
British and US police may be closing in on cyber-vandal group that said it hit Sony and Microsoft games networks over Christmas, helped the Sony Picture hack and has launched a low-cost DDoS attack tool.
EC3 coordinates global action to fight airline fraud.
Concern over both the leak of data and the extent of surveillance by authorities in the Netherlands.
Two of the UK's top cyber crime-fighters have accused financial institutions and other companies of failing to share information about cyber-attacks because of 'mutual suspicion' between police and the private sector.
A spam email campaign purporting to come from the Bournemouth Pavilion theatre about a Christmas performance of Peter Pan has hit tens of thousands of computer users worldwide.
The UK's National Crime Agency (NCA) has joined forces with the FBI and Europol to launch a new global crime fighting team, led by the NCA's Andy Archibald.
Complete counterfeit card production kits confiscated - plans to draw cash at magnetic stripe card-using ATMs in Asia thwarted
The UK has set up a national cyber crime fighting team as part of the newly formed 4,500-strong National Crime Agency (NCA) - dubbed the 'British FBI'.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Interim CISO (Chief Information Security Officer) - Cyber Security Director
CYBER EXECS - London (Central), London (Greater)
Junior Penetration Tester, Hertfordshire, to £35k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Hertfordshire
Cyber Security Architect
CYBER EXECS - London (Greater)
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £47-56k + package
Infosec People - Hampshire, England, Aldershot
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Tesco Bank allegedly ignored warnings of hack from Visa
- Investigatory Powers and Digital Economy Bills could threaten economy
- Updated: A million German routers knocked offline by failed Mirai botnet attack
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Microsoft update left Azure Linux virtual machines open to hacking
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- Microsoft Office 365 hit with massive Cerber ransomware attack, report
- The information security implications of M&A deals
- Cyber-security must reflect risk not just regulation
- ICYMI: Tesco warned; IP Bill threatens economy; German routers offline; Azure trojan; Gooligan fraud
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- 90% of ITDMs believe IAM is crucial to digital transformation success