As UK government vows to boost cyber-defences, its own research finds majority of successful attacks could have been prevented by adopting Cyber Essentials.
Dr Liam Fox MP, Former Secretary of State for Defence has put forward several proposals in a speech yesterday at the Royal United Services Institute including prosecution for organisations that don't report their breaches.
"There's a lot of great talk, but most companies (SMEs) do nothing (about cyber-security). It's shocking. And the flow down from big companies, passing best practice down the supply chain, is not working," says Dr Emma Philpott
UK minister Ed Vaizey has dismissed media reports that the Conservative government plans to ban encryption, whilst also promising that cyber-security remains a 'priority' in Whitehall.
Now starting its second year, Cyber Essentials certification is quickly becoming recognised as an invaluable kite mark and roadmap for organisations wishing to improve their cyber-security, says Chris Stanley.
A government-commissioned report, carried out by PwC, has found that data breaches are rolling in thick and fast for UK firms - and the costs are mounting up.
The latest ICYMI column looks at the biggest stories on SC this week, including worrying news on EU data protection laws, claims of iPhone spyware and new Flash Player zero-days.
The UK government has partnered with the IASME consortium and the Give01Day not-for-profit organisation to offer Cyber Essentials certification to UK charities to help them keep safe online.
The government's initiative to set a baseline certification scheme for cyber security, Cyber Essentials, is now underway and John Godwin encourages companies to get certified as soon as possible.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Junior Penetration Tester, Hertfordshire, to £35k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Hertfordshire
Cyber Security Architect
CYBER EXECS - London (Greater)
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £47-56k + package
Infosec People - Hampshire, England, Aldershot
Senior Security Engineer
Loveworklife Recruitment - United Kingdom
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Tesco Bank allegedly ignored warnings of hack from Visa
- Investigatory Powers and Digital Economy Bills could threaten economy
- Updated: A million German routers knocked offline by failed Mirai botnet attack
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Microsoft update left Azure Linux virtual machines open to hacking
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- Microsoft Office 365 hit with massive Cerber ransomware attack, report
- ICYMI: Tesco warned; IP Bill threatens economy; German routers offline; Azure trojan; Gooligan fraud
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- 90% of ITDMs believe IAM is crucial to digital transformation success
- Research: Hacked companies could see customer exodus if breached
- Misconfigured drive exposes locations of explosives used by oil industry