Annette Murphy explores how security professionals can prepare and protect their assets from Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks
A new report from analytics firm Neustar has brought to light the amount of companies around the world who have suffered a DDoS attack, and how they are working to mitigate them.
Over the weekend, the source code of the Trojan which used huge numbers of IoT devices to form a botnet and attack the websites of security blogger Brian Krebs and European web hosting company OVH, with a DDoS attack was released online.
A Trojan named Linux.Mirai has been found to be carrying out DDoS attacks.
Just as Western governments are concerned about Chinese or Russian state hackers, the Kremlin worries that its government agencies are under increasing western attack, and is concerned about skill shortages in government.
Taking a break from its takeovers of CEOs' Twitter and Quora accounts, the hacking group OurMine turned its attention to Wikileaks, reportedly knocking its website offline with a distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack.
Lizard Squad is best known for launching DDoS attacks against Microsoft Xbox Live and Sony PlayStation Network, and doing so 'for the lulz!' SC Magazine UK has been pondering whether the motivation actually matters?
An alarming 36 percent of businesses have yet to develop a cyber-attack response plan.
The latest In Case You Missed It (ICYMI) looks at Lizard Squad DDoS, Botnet growth, Qatar bank breached by facists, Hidden Open Source flaws, Ransomware surge.
Lizard Squad is back with a vengeance, according to an advisory from Action Fraud UK which is advising organisations to report the attacks, keep detailed records and seek help from their ISPs.
With the bombardment of DDoS attacks fairly consistent worldwide throughout 2015, it's no longer a matter of if or when attacks might happen, but how often and how long the attack will last.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £55-63k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Aldershot, Hampshire
Security Architect, Cardiff - to £70k Basic
Infosec People - Cardiff, Wales
Interim CISO (Chief Information Security Officer) - Cyber Security Director
CYBER EXECS - London (Central), London (Greater)
Junior Penetration Tester, Hertfordshire, to £35k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Hertfordshire
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Tesco Bank allegedly ignored warnings of hack from Visa
- Updated: A million German routers knocked offline by failed Mirai botnet attack
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Cyber-security must reflect risk not just regulation
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- Microsoft Office 365 hit with massive Cerber ransomware attack, report