Most Recent Articles by Derek Parkinson
Plans for the roll out of smart meters across Europe will pave the way for intrusive data mining of homes and small businesses unless the European Commission takes action, the EU privacy watchdog has warned.
With a court hearing now imminent for accused hacker Gary McKinnon's fight against extradition to the US, the debate about the fairness of the system is getting fierce. Derek Parkinson asks McKinnon's supporters, legal experts - and a member of 'the NatWest Three' - why they want the Extradition Act to be overhauled.
The WikiLeaks publication of confidential US dimplomatic cables is still causing ructions, but is it more embarrassing than dangerous? Derek Parkinson looks at the security lessons for the rest of us.
For the first time, cyber threats are on the fast track to the Prime Minister's in-tray. And with £650 million available, the Government is putting its money where its mouth is, says Derek Parkinson.
The public sector needs to be more accountable for its data handling practices if we are to find the right balance between individual freedom and collective security, warned Shadow Security Minister Baroness Pauline Neville-Jones.
More Articles by Derek Parkinson
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Junior Penetration Tester, Hertfordshire, to £35k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Hertfordshire
Cyber Security Architect
CYBER EXECS - London (Greater)
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £47-56k + package
Infosec People - Hampshire, England, Aldershot
Senior Security Engineer
Loveworklife Recruitment - United Kingdom
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Tesco Bank allegedly ignored warnings of hack from Visa
- Investigatory Powers and Digital Economy Bills could threaten economy
- Updated: A million German routers knocked offline by failed Mirai botnet attack
- Microsoft update left Azure Linux virtual machines open to hacking
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- ICYMI: CEO Sacked; MS Zero-day; Passwords dropped; Ransomware wild, charging hack
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- ICYMI: Tesco warned; IP Bill threatens economy; German routers offline; Azure trojan; Gooligan fraud
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- 90% of ITDMs believe IAM is crucial to digital transformation success
- Research: Hacked companies could see customer exodus if breached
- Misconfigured drive exposes locations of explosives used by oil industry