Most Recent Articles by Derek Parkinson
Plans for the roll out of smart meters across Europe will pave the way for intrusive data mining of homes and small businesses unless the European Commission takes action, the EU privacy watchdog has warned.
With a court hearing now imminent for accused hacker Gary McKinnon's fight against extradition to the US, the debate about the fairness of the system is getting fierce. Derek Parkinson asks McKinnon's supporters, legal experts - and a member of 'the NatWest Three' - why they want the Extradition Act to be overhauled.
The WikiLeaks publication of confidential US dimplomatic cables is still causing ructions, but is it more embarrassing than dangerous? Derek Parkinson looks at the security lessons for the rest of us.
For the first time, cyber threats are on the fast track to the Prime Minister's in-tray. And with £650 million available, the Government is putting its money where its mouth is, says Derek Parkinson.
The public sector needs to be more accountable for its data handling practices if we are to find the right balance between individual freedom and collective security, warned Shadow Security Minister Baroness Pauline Neville-Jones.
More Articles by Derek Parkinson
SC Webcasts UK
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- European Parliament approves GDPR
- Have retailers secured themselves against the Insider threat before you head to the checkout?
- Ensure that your employment contracts are fit for purpose for cyber-security
- Cyber-crime as a business rampant, new study
- How will the new EU-US privacy shield fit with the upcoming General Data Protection Regulation?
- BT Tower mock cyber-investigation unveils hidden IT talents
- Botnets getting bigger and stronger, says Kaspersky
- Video: New EPQ offers students equivalent of cyber-security AS level
- Qatar National Bank breached, files published, Turkish fascists claim responsibility
- ICYMI: Facebook flaw; Verizon report; 5 Cisco alerts; TalkTalk arrest; Crime up