DESlock+ Business Desktop
October 01, 2010
Data Encryption SystemsProduct:
£75 for perpetual licence per user
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Solid easy to use encryption
- Weaknesses: Limited management capabilities
- Verdict: Strong product but may be challenging to manage across the enterprise
DESlock+ Business Desktop from Data Encryption Systems provides full-scale encryption services. It enables users to perform whole disk encryption and encrypt removable media, files, folders and email. It also allows users to access encrypted data on removable media from a machine that does not have DESlock installed, using the DESlock+ Go feature.
We found this product to be easy to install and deploy throughout the enterprise. The application is packaged as an .msi file that can be shared via the Active Directory Group Policy. Once a domain machine is booted the installation takes place and all that is left is for the user to setup some initial settings. Before first use the application brings up a short setup wizard and the user can easily set up keys and create the initial configuration. Once this is complete the user can access a menu by clicking on the tray icon to manage the application.
DESlock+ integrates very well on the user side. Users can easily manage encryption settings either by using the tray menu or by right clicking on the file or folder to encrypt and selecting the DESlock+ menu option.
However, while this product is easily manageable from the user side, there is very little in the way of central management available. Administrators can customise the installation .msi with some settings, but once installed there is very little that administrators can do to manage the application itself.
Documentation included a PDF manual that covers the entire product from installation through advanced use and management. This was clear and easy to read, with a ton of screenshots and examples. It also includes a short quick-start section that guides users through the initial setup process in an easy to follow step-by-step format.
The first 12 months of support are included with the purchase of the product. Additional years of support can be purchased for a nominal fee. Options include 8/5 email and phone technical assistance, as well as access to a web-based portal and knowledgebase.
At a price of £75 per user for a perpetual licence we find DESlock+ Business Desktop to be good value for money. It provides a full encryption feature set but lacks in central management capabilities.
SC Webcasts UK
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- European Parliament approves GDPR
- Have retailers secured themselves against the Insider threat before you head to the checkout?
- Ensure that your employment contracts are fit for purpose for cyber-security
- Cyber-crime as a business rampant, new study
- How will the new EU-US privacy shield fit with the upcoming General Data Protection Regulation?
- The BYOD explosion: How much of a threat do personal devices really pose to your network?
- BT Tower mock cyber-investigation unveils hidden IT talents
- Botnets getting bigger and stronger, says Kaspersky
- Video: New EPQ offers students equivalent of cyber-security AS level
- Qatar National Bank breached, files published, Turkish fascists claim responsibility