June 01, 2004
$1,500 for 50 users
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
Reporting is particularly good.
The initial configuration is tricky.
A good gateway solution.
The vendors recommend placing the software on a separate server in the DMZ, routing back email traffic through the firewall and into the internal email server. As with other products on the test, we put the application on the same physical network as the email server, but it is good advice.
Installation took a while to complete. We then had to fire up a console to configure the filter to act as an intermediary between the box sending the suspect mail and the email server software. We had problems with this, however, as the initial console was confusing. It was difficult to discern which parts of the configuration did what. A call to support helped, and we were ready to send spam to our test server.
The console, aside from the configuration page, is well laid-out and everything is in one place. Items such as connection filtering, rule filtering and reports are in a tree structure that is easy to navigate.
We set up a rule to check for spam by heuristic analysis and Bayesian filtering. The system can notify an administrator when spam arrives, but this is probably not something many administrators would want it to do.
The reporting function is noteworthy. We found it particularly intuitive and not only could reports be tailored to the whims of the administrator, they could also be looked at on the console or emailed as a PDF. Looking at the reports generated could allow administrators to further refine the filters to block spam more effectively.
After it was set to run all mail through heuristic and Bayesian analysis the machine took a while to get through the deluge we sent it. However, it was not the slowest in the test and with further configuration it could probably be sped up. The Bayesian filter also hit a couple of false positives but it could be trained out of doing so with further effort from the administrator.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Security Architect, Cardiff - to £70k Basic
Infosec People - Cardiff, Wales
Interim CISO (Chief Information Security Officer) - Cyber Security Director
CYBER EXECS - London (Central), London (Greater)
Junior Penetration Tester, Hertfordshire, to £35k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Hertfordshire
Cyber Security Architect
CYBER EXECS - London (Greater)
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Tesco Bank allegedly ignored warnings of hack from Visa
- Investigatory Powers and Digital Economy Bills could threaten economy
- Updated: A million German routers knocked offline by failed Mirai botnet attack
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Microsoft update left Azure Linux virtual machines open to hacking
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- Microsoft Office 365 hit with massive Cerber ransomware attack, report