eEye Blink Professional 3.0
June 01, 2007
c£29.75 per node standalone, or c£32.75 per node with REM Management Console
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Integrated, easy to use ID theft protection along with IPS and firewall
- Weaknesses: Requires separate management console to become even slightly useful
- Verdict: A bit pricey, but if you are using other eEye products this one could add some functionality for you
Blink Professional is basically an endpoint security product with some extra protection. It features anti-virus, anti-spyware and anti-phishing protection, grouped together under the mantle of identity theft protection. However, it appears that these features have been added on to a program designed to provide endpoint protection including firewall and intrusion prevention. This product requires the addition of the eEye REM Management utility to be centrally managed, otherwise the clients are all standalone installations.
This tool is simple to use. Installation is launched from an executable and the set-up wizard aids in setting the initial configuration and running updates. Once installed, the features of the product can be browsed from a management window that is similar to the Windows control panel. While easy to manage and navigate, the settings are similar to on/off switches and are broad in nature.
As an anti-malware management tool, we found Blink Professional to be fairly bland. There is limited functionality and very limited flexibility built into the product. However, with integration to the REM console this could be turned into a very useful endpoint security manager, since it incorporates the ability to do vulnerability scans and intrusion prevention.
Documentation is well written and straightforward. The installation and user guides are online in PDF format. We found these to be helpful and easy to understand. Explanation of set-up options is clear. The user guide contains many screenshots and clear descriptions of features and settings.
Support offered by eEye is slightly below average. The support area of the customer site only contains a knowledge base, a link to submit a request for technical assistance and a link to check the progress of a technical request. During the testing process, we tried to contact support via phone and were asked, via a recorded message, to submit a request on the website.
This product is not good value for money in an enterprise environment. It has basic functionality, low flexibility and, after testing, does not fit with what we would expect from an enterprise product.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Junior Penetration Tester, Hertfordshire, to £35k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Hertfordshire
Cyber Security Architect
CYBER EXECS - London (Greater)
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £47-56k + package
Infosec People - Hampshire, England, Aldershot
Senior Security Engineer
Loveworklife Recruitment - United Kingdom
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Tesco Bank allegedly ignored warnings of hack from Visa
- Investigatory Powers and Digital Economy Bills could threaten economy
- Updated: A million German routers knocked offline by failed Mirai botnet attack
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Microsoft update left Azure Linux virtual machines open to hacking
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- Microsoft Office 365 hit with massive Cerber ransomware attack, report
- ICYMI: Tesco warned; IP Bill threatens economy; German routers offline; Azure trojan; Gooligan fraud
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- 90% of ITDMs believe IAM is crucial to digital transformation success
- Research: Hacked companies could see customer exodus if breached
- Misconfigured drive exposes locations of explosives used by oil industry