EMC Documentum IRM
October 01, 2008
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Highly customisable platform with dynamic control of rights and policies that become effective immediately
- Weaknesses: None that we found
- Verdict: A fully-integrated product with very good value for the cost. We rate Documentum IRM Recommended
EMC Documentum IRM brings complete document control and users' ever-changing needs into one product. Documentum goes beyond simple rights management. It is designed to dynamically adjust to certain rights and restrictions instantly. It can be used to control access to documents and email as well as assign rights such as copy and print. Documentum plugs right into Microsoft Office applications and Adobe PDF Reader.
We found this product to be straightforward and intuitive on both the server and user side. The management application itself resembles an MMC console: creating policy and managing users and groups is effortless. Users will find that this product integrates seamlessly into their applications as well. To protect a document, all a user has to do is click on a drop-down menu in the application and dole out rights and who gets them. Only this user can change the assigned rights, and at any time; the policy becomes effective immediately.
This product performed quite well during our test. It incorporated many great features into a streamlined and seamless process on both the server and client sides. It provided a high amount of document control that was not only easy to manage but simple and effective for users.
Three manuals are provided with this product. The first is an installation guide that covers installing and setting up the server components. The second is a full administration guide providing detailed configuration instructions for the server.
Finally, there is a short guide illustrating how to use the client application. All three guides contain many screenshots and configuration examples.
EMC provides three levels of support: Basic, Enhanced, and Premium. Each provides varying options, including phone and email support, remote technical support, case management and escalation support. The website has a knowledgebase and FAQs.
EMC's Documentum IRM is excellent value for money. We expected a higher price for this integrated product with a comprehensive feature set. Overall cost of ownership, however, is quite reasonable.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Junior Penetration Tester, Hertfordshire, to £35k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Hertfordshire
Cyber Security Architect
CYBER EXECS - London (Greater)
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £47-56k + package
Infosec People - Hampshire, England, Aldershot
Senior Security Engineer
Loveworklife Recruitment - United Kingdom
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Tesco Bank allegedly ignored warnings of hack from Visa
- Investigatory Powers and Digital Economy Bills could threaten economy
- Updated: A million German routers knocked offline by failed Mirai botnet attack
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Microsoft update left Azure Linux virtual machines open to hacking
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- ICYMI: CEO Sacked; MS Zero-day; Passwords dropped; Ransomware wild, charging hack
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- ICYMI: Tesco warned; IP Bill threatens economy; German routers offline; Azure trojan; Gooligan fraud
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- 90% of ITDMs believe IAM is crucial to digital transformation success
- Research: Hacked companies could see customer exodus if breached
- Misconfigured drive exposes locations of explosives used by oil industry