Lizard Squad is back with a vengeance, according to an advisory from Action Fraud UK which is advising organisations to report the attacks, keep detailed records and seek help from their ISPs.
The Instagram account of Australian fashion blogger Rozalia Russian was hijacked by an American hacker, who extorted $5,000 (£3,500) from her before handing back her credentials, according to a report in the Sydney Morning Herald.
Crypto-ransomware has surpassed botnets as the most popular attack method of choice for cyber-criminals.
ICYMI: €50 m cyber-fraud; Codoso back; MS/US gov clash; Adultery extortionists; Apple's encryption keyJanuary 29, 2016
The latest In Case You Missed It (ICYMI) looks at €50 m aeroplane cyber-fraud; Chinese cyber-espionage returns; MS resists US claim on data; Extortion of Ashley Maddison members; Apple iCloud Backup insecure.
Since the Ashley Madison breach, some users of the infidelity service have received blackmail letters via the US postal system from extortionists threatening to blow their cover.
The cyber-extortionist gang DD4BC has reportedly suffered a blow as one of the group's key members was arrested and another detained this week in a crackdown which has brought together law enforcement agencies from around the world.
Earlier this year, Lee Philip Rees of Roath, Cardiff was found guilty of computer hacking, distribution of indecent child photos and blackmail.
ICYMI: Madison extortion, Cyber-sec challenge, United bug-bounty, French intelligence, and Anonymous/ISIS spatNovember 29, 2015
The latest In Case You Missed It (ICYMI) looks at suspected Madison extorortionists, Cyber-Sec challenge finals, bug-bounty criticism, French intelligence & Anonymous' ISIS twitter battle.
63 percent of Neustar's EMEA customers have received ransom note threats.
The latest In Case You Missed It (ICYMI) looks at possible Ashley Madison extortion campaign, analysing the TalkTalk attack, contactless card theft, opinion on the Experian hack and Marks & Spencer not a hack.
A cyber-security company says it may have spotted a round of extortions on Ashley Madison customers from a notorious hacking group
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Junior Penetration Tester, Hertfordshire, to £35k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Hertfordshire
Cyber Security Architect
CYBER EXECS - London (Greater)
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £47-56k + package
Infosec People - Hampshire, England, Aldershot
Senior Security Engineer
Loveworklife Recruitment - United Kingdom
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Tesco Bank allegedly ignored warnings of hack from Visa
- Investigatory Powers and Digital Economy Bills could threaten economy
- Updated: A million German routers knocked offline by failed Mirai botnet attack
- Microsoft update left Azure Linux virtual machines open to hacking
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- ICYMI: CEO Sacked; MS Zero-day; Passwords dropped; Ransomware wild, charging hack
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- ICYMI: Tesco warned; IP Bill threatens economy; German routers offline; Azure trojan; Gooligan fraud
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- 90% of ITDMs believe IAM is crucial to digital transformation success
- Research: Hacked companies could see customer exodus if breached
- Misconfigured drive exposes locations of explosives used by oil industry