October 07, 2005
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Good range of security functions; easy to use and configure; and an extremely user-friendly setup process.
- Weaknesses: Some functional elements only available as optional extras and even then not fully integrated into the wizard-based management and setup.
- Verdict: Well-specified and robust with an easy-to-use wizard-based setup and management tools.
The device has a flexible port configuration, including two 10/100/1000 tri-speed Ethernet interfaces, four usable-definable 10/100 Ethernet ports for redundant WAN links and an integral four port switch allowing direct connectivity with the unit.
Comprehensive documentation includes a detailed quickstart guide, and two CDs loaded with in-depth PDF-based guides.
The device can be configured via our old favorite, the serial cable, a user-friendly web-based interface, or the control buttons and LCDs on the front.
We opted for the web-based console which is quickly accessed over a secure https connection once the management PC had been configured to the same subnet as the default setting.
We then fired up a complicated console based around drop-down menus, but had to decide whether to implement the firewall in NAT routing mode or transparent mode – depending on whether it was on a private or public-facing network. On our private network we selected transparent mode and then had to change the IP of the management PC to 10.10.10.2 – the IP assigned for this mode. We were then prompted to reset the admin default password.
The Wizard-based configuration is impressive, with a basic, easy-to-understand set of security options (off, medium and high) for the firewall and AV functions. The control panel also features a comprehensive logging and reporting option.
Selecting one of the default levels sets up well thought-out pre-defined configurations for most of the features, but not the optional anti-spam and web filter modules.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Junior Penetration Tester, Hertfordshire, to £35k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Hertfordshire
Cyber Security Architect
CYBER EXECS - London (Greater)
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £47-56k + package
Infosec People - Hampshire, England, Aldershot
Senior Security Engineer
Loveworklife Recruitment - United Kingdom
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Tesco Bank allegedly ignored warnings of hack from Visa
- Investigatory Powers and Digital Economy Bills could threaten economy
- Updated: A million German routers knocked offline by failed Mirai botnet attack
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Microsoft update left Azure Linux virtual machines open to hacking
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- Microsoft Office 365 hit with massive Cerber ransomware attack, report
- ICYMI: Tesco warned; IP Bill threatens economy; German routers offline; Azure trojan; Gooligan fraud
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- 90% of ITDMs believe IAM is crucial to digital transformation success
- Research: Hacked companies could see customer exodus if breached
- Misconfigured drive exposes locations of explosives used by oil industry