GFI MailSecurity 10
June 02, 2008
£97.90 for 10 mailboxes
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Offers comprehensive protection from up to five different virus scanners
- Weaknesses: Expensive considering the feature set
- Verdict: Limited to malware threats, this is a strong product in that piece of the email-borne threat picture but lacks a more comprehensive feature set
This product is simple to install and easy to manage. Installation consists of running an executable on the mail server and following a few steps of a setup wizard. Once installed configuration is done via the management GUI, which is well organised and easy to navigate. Most settings are configured just by ticking a box or clicking a button to enable protection.
GFI MailSecurity offers solid mail threat protection that goes way beyond traditional scanning. The solution scans deep to find viruses and Trojans that could be hidden in executables and attachments. This product also protects from email-based exploits and contains a decompression filter and an HTML sanitiser.
Two pieces of documentation are included. One is an installation guide that details deployment options and installation instructions. The other is a full product manual. This goes into much detail on configuring product features and managing the anti-virus aspects. Both guides are well organised and have many screenshots.
Customers who purchase this product get 30 days of free support, after which they can purchase additional assistance. GFI offers phone and email support, along with an expansive support area on the website. This features a knowledge base, FAQ section, forums and product information.
While MailSecurity does offer a very comprehensive amount of virus protection, we find it average value for money. At a price of around £98 for ten mailboxes, it can get pricey very quickly just for the protection from viruses. This product does not provide anything in the way of content filtering or management, so by itself it is not a very effective email content manager.
SC Webcasts UK
Sign up to our newsletters
DV Cleared Systems Architect - 6 Months - London
Computerfutures - London (North), London (Greater)
CISO – Chief Information Security Officer (Up to £100K)
Evolution Recruitment - London (North), London (Greater)
Head of Security Strategy – London
Evolution Recruitment - London (West), London (Greater)
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Associate Professor in Cyber Security and Networking
Edinburgh Napier University - Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Russia's Central Bank introduces new mandatory cyber-security regulations
- Singapore to shut off internet access for government agencies
- What exactly will this new bill of rights mean for privacy laws within the UK?
- Epic hack, thousands of salted logins stolen
- 6 in 10 universities hit by ransomware, 2/3 hit multiple times
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- Microsoft ends common password use and password lockout
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- 1.5 billion Windows computers potentially affected by unpatched 0-day exploit
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- ICYMI: Russian banks, Singapore, ransomware on campus, gaming hacks and more Snowden
- Advocacy groups urge FCC in the US to address connected car technology threat
- Lost devices leading cause of data breaches, report
- WhatsApp to share customer data with Facebook
- Hackers exploit vBulletin flaw to access 27M accounts on 11 websites