GFI MailSecurity for Exchange/SMTP
June 06, 2006
$500 for 25 mailboxes
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Good multi-layered AV support with clearly laid-out management screens.
- Weaknesses: Installation could be vastly improved.
- Verdict: A capable and full-featured anti-virus solution.
GFI MailSecurity is, as its name suggests, a security suite that includes anti-virus support for Exchange and SMTP environments. Although we had some trouble at first, once it was running, the product performed well in testing and offered a good set of tools to manage AV in small environments.
As we had not been given a licensed edition to test, we downloaded the trial version, but had to terminate the install because we were told we needed Microsoft’s IIS web server product.
After installing this, we then had to install the Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1, terminate the install again and go back to the beginning – all rather clumsy.
After all this inconvenience, the actual set-up was relatively straightforward, and once we had configured and specified the mail relay server name and its IP address, as well as setting up a local domain in IIS to route email, the product was ready to be customized.
The management console is clearly laid-out and intuitive to use. Using these tools, it was easy to set up rules to manage mail traffic running through the server.
Admins can either install this software on their main mail server or on a separate dedicated server. While it can be installed on a Windows 2000 or XP client, installation on a Windows 2000 or 2003 server will allow upward of 10 in-bound SMTP connections.
The management features include a useful option to give administrators access via a web-based console over the internet.
GFI has covered all the bases for mail security, including a trojan and executable analyzer, email exploit detection engine, spyware detection and attachment checking. It was also good to see Norman Virus Control and BitDefender virus engines included as standard.
SC Webcasts UK
Senior Accreditor, Security Risk and Assurance Manager
Disclosure & Barring Service - Liverpool, Merseyside
DV Cleared Systems Architect - 6 Months - London
Computerfutures - London (North), London (Greater)
CISO – Chief Information Security Officer (Up to £100K)
Evolution Recruitment - London (North), London (Greater)
Head of Security Strategy – London
Evolution Recruitment - London (West), London (Greater)
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- It's a trap! WhatsApp Gold 'premium' version lures users to malware
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- Microsoft ends common password use and password lockout
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- 1.5 billion Windows computers potentially affected by unpatched 0-day exploit
- Tech big dogs enrolling in Privacy Shield
- CYBERSEC 2016: Can you enforce international cooperation on cyber-security?
- Linux.Mirai Trojan causing mayhem with DDoS attacks
- Is Microsoft exposing the supply chain by hardening the enterprise Edge?
- Russians suspected of cyber-campaign against journalism site