GFI WebMonitor WebFilter Edition
April 01, 2008
From £275 for 25 seats
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Plugs right into ISA Server and adds some nice filtering capability
- Weaknesses: Low feature set
- Verdict: A competent add-in for Microsoft ISA Server at a very good price
The GFI WebMonitor is a good addition for an environment already running Microsoft ISA Server as its firewall and web proxy server. This product adds some very nice features, including time-based web URL filtering and blocking access to phishing sites. However, this is really the extent of the WebFilter Edition. GFI also offers some more comprehensive packages, but this particular edition is pretty much just what it says on the box.
We found this product simple to install and easy to use. Installation is launched on the ISA Server from an executable. This opens up the installation wizard, which takes just a few minutes. Once the installation is complete, just click on the program or launch the web GUI to begin configuration. At first launch, the product automatically downloads the filtering database and anti-virus software. Navigating the management console is quite intuitive and we found configuration simple.
Since this product is designed for ISA, it plugs into the environment quite effortlessly and policy is easy to configure by user, group or IP address. One thing we noticed and really liked was the use of many charts, graphs and logs. All these reporting and monitoring tools are easy to access and provide clear information about internet usage and policy violation at a glance.
Documentation consists of a single PDF manual. This combines guides for installation, configuration and administration for all the WebMonitor packages in one place. The manual is easy to navigate, with a live table of contents to make finding specific topics easier and is nicely organised. There are many labelled screenshots that provides extra illustration of certain screen and menu layouts.
GFI offers email support via support request forms on its website. The site also contains an expansive support area including a large knowledge base, forums and FAQs. Customers can also sign into a portal where they are able to manage licences.
The WebFilter Edition comes in at a starting price of £275 for 25 seats. While this product is a good add-on for an environment already running ISA Server, it does not really do much for an organisation that is not. The features are quite limited, although the solution does offer some good monitoring and reporting capability.
SC Webcasts UK
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- It's a trap! WhatsApp Gold 'premium' version lures users to malware
- Two-year GDPR honeymoon period starts today
- Surrey teenager charged under Computer Misuse Act over Mumsnet hack
- Cerber ransomware on sale in Russian darknet with new scripting features
- Netflix's VPN ban may result in stronger security for VPN customers
- Email error leaks hundreds of Northern Ireland prison officer details
- Don't connect your charging cell to a computer or you may get hacked!
- SC Roundtable: Turning data into actionable intelligence
- Wekby cyber-criminals use DNS tunnelling for command and control of malware
- ICYMI: WhatsApp trap; Cerber RaaS; LinkedIn loss; Screen lock; 2 yrs to GDPR