Gordano Messaging Server
August 02, 2004
$10,310 for 1,000 users
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
Competitively priced, simple to install, intuitive management and configuration.
Not the most feature rich offering, but at this price, there's little to complain about.
An excellent choice for companies looking for a fully-featured, secure mail solution on a budget.
The Gordano Messaging Server (GMS) anti-virus product is a complete email solution aimed at the enterprise, yet offered at a competitive price and with comprehensive built-in security.
With support for Windows, several flavours of Unix and Linux, it is a fully featured product with several welcome additions, including a Short Message Service (SMS) gateway, support for instant messaging and solid anti-spam filtering.
While the software's main role is to act as a mail server, the security additions are more than adequate.
Top of the list of security measures is its anti-virus engine, which claims to successfully block viruses before they enter the network. Gordano allows virus definition files to be automatically downloaded as often as every 15 minutes if required.
The roots of the mail server are based on what used to be called NT Mail, regarded as an excellent, fully-featured product. When combined with the optional extras, it really is hard to beat.
One strong point is the ease of installation and use. During set-up, the mail server was created quickly and with little fuss – just a domain name and a password are required to get up and running. We were impressed by how quickly everything was in place and found the web-based management interface to be intuitive and straightforward.
The first task was to download a new virus definition file – again, a simple procedure. Any updates are emailed to the domain name that is entered in the installation process.
Optional extras include anti-virus software, email protection for any mail program and instant messenger, an anti-spam module and SMS and pager support.
During installation you are prompted to select the options you wish to install, as well as specify the authentication process – Gordano's propriety database, or external databases such as SQL, LDAP or active directory.
While some of the products on review in this test offer more comprehensive security and anti-virus features, if you are in the market for a robust, safe and competitively priced mail solution, then look no further than Gordano.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Information Security Risk Manager, £45-55k + bens
Infosec People - West Midlands, England, Coventry
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £55-63k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Aldershot, Hampshire
Security Architect, Cardiff - to £70k Basic
Infosec People - Cardiff, Wales
Interim CISO (Chief Information Security Officer) - Cyber Security Director
CYBER EXECS - London (Central), London (Greater)
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Met Police grab suspect with phone unlocked to get hold of data
- Cyber-security must reflect risk not just regulation
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- Same fate befalls Post Office broadband as hit DT?
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- Microsoft Office 365 hit with massive Cerber ransomware attack, report
- Former Expedia IT employee admits to hacking execs from the inside
- Cyber-insurance: What will you be able to claim for and is it worth it?
- Levelling the playing field against targeted attacks
- India Supreme Court calls on tech giants to curb sexual assault, cyber-crime
- IoTSF conference: EU should become de facto regulator