IBM Security Trusteer Pinpoint Criminal Detection
November 03, 2014
Starts at £15,458.53 based on number and type of users.
Account takeover is a fraud investigator's worst nightmare. Most tools simply do not get to the problem in time to remedy it - even though they might offer a detailed analysis at some point in the future. There are many pieces of the fraud picture in account takeovers and most of them have been monitored and used to create risk scores. However, all of these focus on current activity and do not take into account historical behaviour.
One of the things that makes the use of statistical models less than optimum is the small percentage of fraud attempts compared to the entire clickstream. For example, the number of fraud attempts per day in a population of 10 million logins might be as small as 20. That's a ratio of about .0002 percent, statistically insignificant. By comparison, voice recognition and online marketing - both of which are less than perfectly reliable - are several orders of magnitude greater. Clearly, statistical analysis of this small target population is not viable.
To counter that problem, Trusteer Pinpoint Criminal Detection looks at account compromise history from phishing or malware, gathers device intelligence to create a complex device ID, watches in-session user activity along with account access and transaction history, and applies intelligence data on known fraudsters. Organisations can, if they wish, add specific risk data to the mix to refine the evidence even more.
All of these data are applied to a real-time risk assessment that results in a recommendation for action to take, why there is a risk and how great the risk is. This lets risk analysts make the decision to allow the login and transaction or not.
At a glance
Product IBM Security Trusteer Pinpoint Criminal Detection
Price Starts at £15,458.53 based on number and type of users.
What it does Account takeover detection and prevention.
What we liked Designed to detect complex takeover fraud using evidence-based detection based on such data as malware history, phishing history, remote access and proxy use.
Prices are US-based, thus indicative only.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Junior Penetration Tester, Hertfordshire, to £35k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Hertfordshire
Cyber Security Architect
CYBER EXECS - London (Greater)
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £47-56k + package
Infosec People - Hampshire, England, Aldershot
Senior Security Engineer
Loveworklife Recruitment - United Kingdom
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Tesco Bank allegedly ignored warnings of hack from Visa
- Investigatory Powers and Digital Economy Bills could threaten economy
- Updated: A million German routers knocked offline by failed Mirai botnet attack
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Microsoft update left Azure Linux virtual machines open to hacking
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- Microsoft Office 365 hit with massive Cerber ransomware attack, report
- ICYMI: Tesco warned; IP Bill threatens economy; German routers offline; Azure trojan; Gooligan fraud
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- 90% of ITDMs believe IAM is crucial to digital transformation success
- Research: Hacked companies could see customer exodus if breached
- Misconfigured drive exposes locations of explosives used by oil industry