IdentiPHI SAFSolution v1.3
October 01, 2007
£36 per user for software only
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Biometric authentication product with Active Directory integration and support for several different readers
- Weaknesses: Limited functionality, cost of ownership can be a bit high
- Verdict: Interesting if limited product for simple workstation authentication using most available fingerprint scanners
Designed to replace the traditional Windows logon with biometric-based authentication, the SAFsolution Enterprise software can be fully integrated into Windows to use either fingerprint (which we tested) or iris recognition. We found the most useful feature of this product is the large amount of compatible scanners it can use. This allows an existing environment to upgrade with very little modification to the types of readers already in place, or a new environment to be created with the customer's ideal equipment.
We found this product to be just above average when it comes to ease of use. The deployment and installation of the solution is a bit tricky as it takes a few steps and different installers. When first installing the server, we had to go through a deployment wizard, then the server installation wizard, and finally install the administrator tools.
On the client side, the scanners had to be installed and then the client software, and finally the two had to be linked together. We would have liked to a more streamlined installation process.
This product performed well in our testing. It incorporates simple administration by adding a tab to a users profile in Active Directory where the enrollment and devices can be managed. This allows for seamless administration, so the existing environment does not have to be changed or modified to accommodate the use of biometric devices.
Documentation consists of a large PDF administrator's guide that includes all the information for installing, deploying and managing the product. This guide is well organised and easy to read. It includes many diagrams and screenshots especially in the installation. However, the table of contents is static rather than hyperlinked, so it does require scrolling to the specific section.
IdentiPHI offers a customer self-service web portal, as well as telephone and email support. The web portal provides a knowledge base and status updates of customer support requests. Telephone support is available during business hours.
At a price of just over £36 per user for the software, this product appears to be good value for money. However, companies do have to provide their own biometric devices, which adds to the cost.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Technical Information Security Consultant
Adeptis - Kent
Senior Security Analyst
Adeptis - Kent
Business Development Manager (IT Security Services)
Adeptis - Reading, Berkshire
Senior Network Security Engineer, London, £68-85k + package
Infosec People - England, London
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Met Police grab suspect with phone unlocked to get hold of data
- Cyber-security must reflect risk not just regulation
- Report: Mirai 'is just the tip of the iceberg'
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- Microsoft Office 365 hit with massive Cerber ransomware attack, report
- 400% increase in POS malware variants across US Thanksgiving weekend
- Only 25% of businesses can effectively detect and respond to data breaches
- Is BYOD your company's norm? Beware the ghosts of data past this Christmas
- Over 400,000 phishing sites have been detected each month in 2016
- TalkTalk customers urged to get routers swapped over hacker fears