March 09, 2005
$15,000 for a one-year subscription for 1,000 users
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
Excellent control over spam categorization.
Feedback system not the easiest to use.
While the spam policies over a lot of control, the feedback engine isn't so easy to use and you'll still need to consider another application for filtering content.
Cloudmark's Immunity is another gateway product, sitting between your email server and the outside world. As such, you can install it on Linux or Windows Server (2000 & 2003). We tested the Linux version of the software, using Sendmail as the mail server.
Using a variety of methods, the spam agent gives a percentage rating to each email it sees. A score of 97 percent means that it is 97 percent certain that the email is spam; a score of three percent means the opposite. The agent is auto-updated from Cloudmark's servers.
With these ratings, you can easily build a new policy using the Administration Dashboard, which is accessible via a web browser. A policy states how you want to deal with the spam percentages. For example, you can block all messages through at 100 percent, quarantine messages at 75 percent and allow all messages through at 40 percent or below. You can also add whitelists of email addresses that are allowed through and make use of Sendmail's blacklisting.
As far as setting up your policy, you'll want to check reports to ensure that your settings are not too low or too high.
Once you have a policy in place, Immunity can learn from users and the administrators through the feedback system. This lets users send back badly classified messages so the system can adjust the way it looks at similar events in real time, without administrator or vendor intervention.
But feedback only works for those users you've authorized and isn't as easy, for example, as setting a forward email address for spam.
The system is smart enough to work out if the classification should be applied to just that user or the whole company, with very little intervention. It is an essential part of any spam system, as it needs to be tuned to your company.
Immunity is an incredibly easy anti-spam system to use and install, and will need very little management when running. But spam is all it does, so you will still need a more complex package to round it off.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Information Security Risk Manager, £45-55k + bens
Infosec People - West Midlands, England, Coventry
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £55-63k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Aldershot, Hampshire
Security Architect, Cardiff - to £70k Basic
Infosec People - Cardiff, Wales
Interim CISO (Chief Information Security Officer) - Cyber Security Director
CYBER EXECS - London (Central), London (Greater)
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Met Police grab suspect with phone unlocked to get hold of data
- Cyber-security must reflect risk not just regulation
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- Same fate befalls Post Office broadband as hit DT?
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- Microsoft Office 365 hit with massive Cerber ransomware attack, report
- Former Expedia IT employee admits to hacking execs from the inside
- Cyber-insurance: What will you be able to claim for and is it worth it?
- Levelling the playing field against targeted attacks
- India Supreme Court calls on tech giants to curb sexual assault, cyber-crime
- IoTSF conference: EU should become de facto regulator