Kaspersky Administration Kit
June 30, 2005
Free to business customers or $17.50 per node for 50 users
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
The system has the ability to report the presence of programs with known security flaws.
You will need a separate database management system for central administration.
This is an effective antivirus system with a comprehensive and free management system.
Kaspersky Lab's Administration Kit is a free tool for business users who have purchased the company's workstation products.
It provides facilities to control and administer their antivirus scanning software across networked computers. It can configure and install the scanning software remotely, and monitor and report the status of the systems under its control using installed Network Agent software.
All signature file updates can be carried out centrally, so that the amount of internet traffic to the Kaspersky servers is kept to a minimum, while ensuring that all the network installations are kept in step and up to date.
The administration software requires either Microsoft SQL Server 2000 or MSDE 2000 database management systems, with Service Pack 3 applied in both cases. We ran our tests using SQL Server 2000 installed on a Windows 2003 Server system.
The administration software is implemented as a plug-in for the Microsoft Management Console (MMC), instead of as a standalone application. Alert notifications can be sent via email.
There is a very useful report-generation facility that can produce html pages with details of errors and scan results, virus detection and details of workstations' antivirus status.
The various update and control functions provided by the plug-in can produce useful history logs in similar formats to those produced by Windows itself for system and security logs.
Once the system has installed its Network Agents, it is possible to monitor the antivirus status of any workstation or server in a system, with details of any running scanning tasks and results of all completed ones. It is also possible to initiate certain functions, such as system scans, on individual systems directly from the MMC without any need for local action.
The Agent also helps to ensure that the virus signatures and scanning software updates are downloaded from the central administration server.
The system will also detect and report on software that could pose a potential security risk, such as certain Remote Administration programs and programs with known security flaws. These can be excluded from subsequent detection and reporting runs if required.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Junior Penetration Tester, Hertfordshire, to £35k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Hertfordshire
Cyber Security Architect
CYBER EXECS - London (Greater)
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £47-56k + package
Infosec People - Hampshire, England, Aldershot
Senior Security Engineer
Loveworklife Recruitment - United Kingdom
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Tesco Bank allegedly ignored warnings of hack from Visa
- Investigatory Powers and Digital Economy Bills could threaten economy
- Updated: A million German routers knocked offline by failed Mirai botnet attack
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Microsoft update left Azure Linux virtual machines open to hacking
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- ICYMI: CEO Sacked; MS Zero-day; Passwords dropped; Ransomware wild, charging hack
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- ICYMI: Tesco warned; IP Bill threatens economy; German routers offline; Azure trojan; Gooligan fraud
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- 90% of ITDMs believe IAM is crucial to digital transformation success
- Research: Hacked companies could see customer exodus if breached
- Misconfigured drive exposes locations of explosives used by oil industry