March 23, 2004
Kerio Technologies, Inc.Product:
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
: User management is made easy by support for directory services and Kerberos authentication.
: Cannot filter mail according to content of the message body or attachment by searching for your choice of words, such as "company confidential".
: A complete mail server with integrated anti-spam and anti-virus as well as many other security features.
Kerio offers a mail server with anti-virus, anti-spam, and content filtering. As a mail server, it is a cost-effective alternative to other products and offers extra features. For example, it can be used with a dial-up internet connection because it supports POP3 as well as SMTP for mail collection from an ISP. It has Extended Turn (ETRN) support for dial-up to extend SMTP if required. Client machines can be supported via POP3, IMAP, or a webmail interface.
Anti-virus for incoming and outgoing messages is offered with the Kerio MailServer with McAfee Anti-Virus integrated or with your own copy of anti-virus software from select third-party suppliers.
SpamAssassin, a third-party anti-spam product, is standard in Kerio MailServer and uses a heuristic approach to rate received messages with a probability of being spam. It can also use a public realtime blackhole list (RBL), and verification of a sender's domain name. It can check against a list of IP addresses that ISPs have allocated to dial-up users, on the assumption that dial-up users don't send email other than via their ISP's mail server.
Other restrictions aimed at controlling spam and defeating denial-of-service (DoS) attacks can be implemented. For example, you can limit the maximum number of messages that can be sent per hour from a single IP address. You can limit the maximum number of concurrent SMTP connections and prevent the Kerio MailServer being used as an open relay by spammers.
Content filtering includes the blocking of attachments by filename or file type, but is basic other than its anti-spam functionality. You can perform lexical searches for selected words of your own choice within the subject, but not within body text or attachments.
Other features are automatic backup of emails to a remote server and the SSL encryption of all communications between clients and the mail server. Kerio MailServer runs on Windows 98/Me/NT/2000/XP, Linux, and Mac OS X.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Junior Penetration Tester, Hertfordshire, to £35k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Hertfordshire
Cyber Security Architect
CYBER EXECS - London (Greater)
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £47-56k + package
Infosec People - Hampshire, England, Aldershot
Senior Security Engineer
Loveworklife Recruitment - United Kingdom
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Tesco Bank allegedly ignored warnings of hack from Visa
- Investigatory Powers and Digital Economy Bills could threaten economy
- Updated: A million German routers knocked offline by failed Mirai botnet attack
- Microsoft update left Azure Linux virtual machines open to hacking
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- ICYMI: CEO Sacked; MS Zero-day; Passwords dropped; Ransomware wild, charging hack
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- ICYMI: Tesco warned; IP Bill threatens economy; German routers offline; Azure trojan; Gooligan fraud
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- 90% of ITDMs believe IAM is crucial to digital transformation success
- Research: Hacked companies could see customer exodus if breached
- Misconfigured drive exposes locations of explosives used by oil industry