LANDesk Security Suite
June 01, 2006
$30 per node
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Very flexible with many pre-written policies for all areas of endpoint security.
- Weaknesses: Expensive; difficult to learn in the beginning – the complexity of the program’s capabilities can be overwhelming and confusing at first.
- Verdict: Extensive endpoint solution with many features, at a price.
This product incorporates all the features of a great endpoint security product in one program. LANDesk must be installed on a central server, which must pass certain security and version tests before install will begin. After installation, policies can be set for access, applications, software versions, service packs, anti-virus, and so on. Agents planted across the network also allow the console administrator to take remote control of machines in violation of policies. Security Suite is part of a larger set of integrated products.
All configuration and terminal management for the server is done from the management console. Setup and installation is simple and intuitive, although configuration is more difficult. Documentation is very clear, but the application interface can be overwhelming and frustrating to use.
Once the agents were deployed and we started the scan of our test networks, this product conducted a multitude of security tests. The program scanned for vulnerabilities, AV software and updates, software and driver updates, and security policies and service packs. We only saw a minor glitch. When it was time to remove the installation from our system, the removal caused our server to crash and removal of the agent crashed our test machine so badly it had to be rebooted several times.
The documentation for LANDesk is downloaded from the company’s website. It is organised as one zip file that includes three different PDF manuals – a deployment guide and two users’ guides, one for the management suite and one for the security suite. All documentation is easy to understand and easy to follow.
Free phone support is offered between 8am and 8pm EST as well as an online forum and also a knowledge base. Premium support and training programs are offered, but not required as there is free basic support available.
This product is priced at £20 per seat, making it among the higher-priced products for large enterprises we reviewed.
LANDesk is a fully inclusive endpoint security program with significant capability at the higher end of the cost spectrum.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Junior Penetration Tester, Hertfordshire, to £35k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Hertfordshire
Cyber Security Architect
CYBER EXECS - London (Greater)
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £47-56k + package
Infosec People - Hampshire, England, Aldershot
Senior Security Engineer
Loveworklife Recruitment - United Kingdom
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Tesco Bank allegedly ignored warnings of hack from Visa
- Investigatory Powers and Digital Economy Bills could threaten economy
- Updated: A million German routers knocked offline by failed Mirai botnet attack
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Microsoft update left Azure Linux virtual machines open to hacking
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- Microsoft Office 365 hit with massive Cerber ransomware attack, report