November 01, 2003
Loss Prevention servicesProduct:
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
Easy to install, provides password protection, encryption and hidden file functions as well as a 24/7, 365 day tracking and monitoring center.
Must ensure all other programs are configured to accept and ignore the LapTrak software, but pretty easy for most computer literate users.
Provides more than a tracking software, not easily deleted so offers all year round protection.
Although it may not be possible to physically stop a theft from occurring, there are ways to track it if the worst happens.
With several flavors of computer tracking solution available, it may be the cost and features that are the differentiating factors when choosing a reliable service for the safe return of hardware.
LapTrak offers not only a world-wide tracking solution, but it can also include file protection, allowing data to be hidden from prying eyes should it get into the wrong hands.
Sitting silently on the computer, the user does not have to do anything as call-in is accomplished every 24 hours. This enables the center to log and monitor call-in activity placing the computer in a specific area and location. Password protection can be initiated so that a user must correctly enter their personal password at log-in. However, if either an incorrect password or no password is entered a silent call-in is made alarming the center to the unauthorized access attempt.
Those unlucky enough to have their laptop stolen can follow a standard procedure: contact your law enforcement office and report the theft.
Then inform LapTrak's monitoring center where it can be located at next call-in, informing either the owner, law enforcement unit or both.
Unlike the usual 24-hour call-in, once reported stolen a five-minute call-in is instigated until recovery.
Installation is via a CD. Software is downloaded onto the laptop but, in doing so, it will be up to the user to configure other programs to accept it and ignore it so that it can run in stealth mode.
When initially setting LapTrak software up, a product key is needed and other information such as passwords at the ready. These should be kept to yourself except for a password given verbally to the LapTrak center for user verification.
The Hide-A-File feature can be initiated with a hot key of your choice so confidential data to be encrypted and hidden from view.
As this tracking software can be used globally and provides both password and encryption security, it is a worthy addition to any mobile security policy and could enable safe recovery.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Junior Penetration Tester, Hertfordshire, to £35k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Hertfordshire
Cyber Security Architect
CYBER EXECS - London (Greater)
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £47-56k + package
Infosec People - Hampshire, England, Aldershot
Senior Security Engineer
Loveworklife Recruitment - United Kingdom
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Tesco Bank allegedly ignored warnings of hack from Visa
- Investigatory Powers and Digital Economy Bills could threaten economy
- Updated: A million German routers knocked offline by failed Mirai botnet attack
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Microsoft update left Azure Linux virtual machines open to hacking
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- Microsoft Office 365 hit with massive Cerber ransomware attack, report
- ICYMI: Tesco warned; IP Bill threatens economy; German routers offline; Azure trojan; Gooligan fraud
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- 90% of ITDMs believe IAM is crucial to digital transformation success
- Research: Hacked companies could see customer exodus if breached
- Misconfigured drive exposes locations of explosives used by oil industry