August 01, 2010
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Log management, compliance and log analysis features in one device
- Weaknesses: Nothing that we found
- Verdict: A venerable product with an excellent pedigree that it lives up to
Showing its long pedigree as one of the top log management tools available, LogLogic MX3020 has many log correlation and management features.
It offers four modules that are integrated together to provide an in-depth look into compliance, security events, log management and database security. It also features enough onboard storage to meet the log collection needs of most small to medium-sized businesses, so there is no extra cost of additional storage.
Installation and setup is quite straightforward. Once the appliance in connected to the network it is ready to start receiving logs from devices immediately. It can natively receive logs from most network devices but there is also an easy to deploy agent included for collecting logs from Windows-based machines. All of the management is done from the web-based GUI. We found this to be easy and comfortable to navigate, with many configuration tasks taking only a few clicks of the mouse.
LogLogic MX3020 is pretty much plug and play. Once log sources are identified it begins automatically populating predefined compliance and audit reports, as well as extensive log drilldown capabilities to log data for search and forensic analysis, powered by the correlation engine.
Documentation included with the product contained a quick-start guide that provided the steps necessary to get the appliance up and running in the environment in clear step-by-step instructions. The administrator guide covered using the product and configuring the features and this included many screenshots, configuration examples and step-by-step instructions in a well-organised format.
LogLogic offers both 8/5 and 24/7 phone and email support as part of its support programs available at additional costs. These also offer access to product updates and a web-based support portal with various resources. Customers can access an online help forum, community forum and developer network.
At a price of £12,195 we find LogLogic MX3020 to be excellent value for the money. It offers a multitude of reporting and compliance tools, along with drilldown and log analysis capabilities.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Junior Penetration Tester, Hertfordshire, to £35k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Hertfordshire
Cyber Security Architect
CYBER EXECS - London (Greater)
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £47-56k + package
Infosec People - Hampshire, England, Aldershot
Senior Security Engineer
Loveworklife Recruitment - United Kingdom
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Tesco Bank allegedly ignored warnings of hack from Visa
- Investigatory Powers and Digital Economy Bills could threaten economy
- Updated: A million German routers knocked offline by failed Mirai botnet attack
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Microsoft update left Azure Linux virtual machines open to hacking
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- ICYMI: CEO Sacked; MS Zero-day; Passwords dropped; Ransomware wild, charging hack
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- ICYMI: Tesco warned; IP Bill threatens economy; German routers offline; Azure trojan; Gooligan fraud
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- 90% of ITDMs believe IAM is crucial to digital transformation success
- Research: Hacked companies could see customer exodus if breached
- Misconfigured drive exposes locations of explosives used by oil industry