M86 Secure Web Gateway
May 03, 2010
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Proactive scanning and in-depth analysis of possible web-based threats
- Weaknesses: Policy configuration is a little difficult at first
- Verdict: A significant product with a good pedigree, this one certainly deserves your attention
M86 Secure Web Gateway provides proactive prevention of crimeware, malware and data leakage using real-time code analysis and optional anti-virus modules. It analyses code embedded within web content or files and decides whether or not it is harmful before it can reach the client desktop. This provides full seamless protection against a multitude of web-based threats.
The setup of this appliance is guided by a setup wizard and only takes a few minutes. Once it is connected to the network the initial configuration is done by accessing the web-based setup wizard via the default IP of the appliance. Once this is complete, it can be placed inline between the network firewall and head switch. All administration is done via the easy-to-use web-based GUI.
While the M86 appliance come preconfigured with some base policies, it can also be highly customised to meet the needs of any environment.
This product features a powerful policy engine, but it took us some time to get comfortable with exactly how the policies could be configured and assigned to various groups. However, it does provide very granular policy control and incorporates policies to control possible data leakage.
Documentation provided included: a quick-start guide that briefly details the initial setup and configuration of the appliance to get it up and running on the network; a management console guide that provides detailed information on how to navigate the web-based GUI and set up advanced configuration; and a security policies guide that contains a very detailed, in-depth explanation of configuring policies to get the most out of the appliance and its features. All of the guides were easy to follow and included many screenshots and examples.
M86 Security includes the first year of standard support, including 8/5 phone and email technical help, with the purchase price of the appliance. Additional support may be purchased at a per user price and includes 24/7 support. There is also an area on the website that is available at no cost and includes downloads, documentation, a knowledgebase and user forum.
This product sits high on the price spectrum but we find it to be good value for money due to the highly powerful features. It goes above and beyond a standard anti-malware gateway.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Junior Penetration Tester, Hertfordshire, to £35k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Hertfordshire
Cyber Security Architect
CYBER EXECS - London (Greater)
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £47-56k + package
Infosec People - Hampshire, England, Aldershot
Senior Security Engineer
Loveworklife Recruitment - United Kingdom
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Tesco Bank allegedly ignored warnings of hack from Visa
- Investigatory Powers and Digital Economy Bills could threaten economy
- Updated: A million German routers knocked offline by failed Mirai botnet attack
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Microsoft update left Azure Linux virtual machines open to hacking
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- Microsoft Office 365 hit with massive Cerber ransomware attack, report
- ICYMI: Tesco warned; IP Bill threatens economy; German routers offline; Azure trojan; Gooligan fraud
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- 90% of ITDMs believe IAM is crucial to digital transformation success
- Research: Hacked companies could see customer exodus if breached
- Misconfigured drive exposes locations of explosives used by oil industry