May 05, 2010
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Excellent usability bundled with strong email security and content management features
- Weaknesses: Nothing that we found
- Verdict: Great value for money, given the powerful protection mechanisms and price points
MailGate email security and content management solution from Axway offers inbound and outbound protection for downstream SMTP architectures. It bundles anti-virus, anti-spam, content filtering, policy management and encryption capabilities together in one hardware appliance.
Installing the appliance could not have been easier. Once we were up and running, we were very impressed with the overall interface. It is an interesting combination of excellent usability and simplification of common tasks. In fact, there really are not that many browser tabs to navigate in the grand scheme of things. Every feature and option, and there are many, is easily accessible. The dashboard presents the information very well and this is definitely one of the better interfaces we have used.
Aside from the aesthetics, MailGate delivers on all of the common protections for anti-spam, anti-virus and overall content management. Security for encryption is also handled well. The common SMTP over TLS is available, but messages can also be secured using S/MIME. All of the encryption decisions are triggered by policy enforcement options and configurations.
An interesting and useful feature is the ability to convert sensitive Office-type documents into secure PDF files. The PDFs are secured with a password, and functions such as copy/paste and print or even editing the document can be suppressed if needed to preserve the integrity of the message. MailGate can also remove metadata and edit outbound messages to preserve corporate policy. The appliance has a very strong set of features and options for the price.
Documentation on the appliance within the Axway website is excellent. Axway offers customer support portals both for its current line and also the legacy Tumbleweed customer portal.
Gold (8/5) and platinum (24/7) support options are available as part of the bundled product at various fee schedules on a per-year basis. Dedicated account management and support options are available as well.
Overall, we feel the strong feature-set and usability provide excellent value for money, given the powerful protection mechanisms MailGate offers.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Information Security Risk Manager, £45-55k + bens
Infosec People - West Midlands, England, Coventry
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £55-63k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Aldershot, Hampshire
Security Architect, Cardiff - to £70k Basic
Infosec People - Cardiff, Wales
Interim CISO (Chief Information Security Officer) - Cyber Security Director
CYBER EXECS - London (Central), London (Greater)
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Met Police grab suspect with phone unlocked to get hold of data
- Cyber-security must reflect risk not just regulation
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- Same fate befalls Post Office broadband as hit DT?
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- Microsoft Office 365 hit with massive Cerber ransomware attack, report
- Over 400,000 phishing sites have been detected each month in 2016
- TalkTalk customers urged to get routers swapped over hacker fears
- Report: Mirai 'is just the tip of the iceberg'
- Avalanche takedown involved searches in 40 countries
- India Supreme Court calls on tech giants to curb sexual assault, cyber-crime