March 23, 2004
$1,387 for a 50-user license
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
: The extensive use of "wizards" makes basic configuration easy.
: Need to edit an XML file if you wish to adjust the spam sensitivity settings.
: A comprehensive solution to email content filtering implemented at the internet gateway.
Clearswift MAILsweeper analyzes incoming and outgoing email at the internet gateway so organizations can implement management and security policies to block spam, viruses, inappropriate content, and comply with legal requirements.
MAILsweeper screens emails based on source, content and destination. Emails entering and leaving the organization at the SMTP gateway are transparently subjected to filtering, monitoring and reporting. Installation is made quicker and easier by support for LDAP directories from which lists of users may be queried.
Different content policies may be set up based on source and destination addresses. This can include preventing inappropriate or confidential content being transmitted and can enforce the inclusion of a disclaimer. You can also enforce a limit on attachment file sizes.
Content analysis is done by examining the message body and attachments. Attached archive files (such as PKZIP files) are examined by extracting the files contained within them.
MAILsweeper can block files by file type but it does not rely on the file name for identification of these files. All image files may be blocked or an add-on program, called IMAGEManager, may be used to analyze and block image files based on content.
MAILsweeper works with a wide variety of third-party anti-virus products. The anti-spam filter is Clearswift's own software, which uses heuristics based on self-learning Bayesian filters and can use an up-to-date database of known spam, called spamActive, which may be kept current through scheduled downloads from Clearswift's website (updated every three hours). Its script checker can filter out html and other dangerous content from the body of email messages. It can also work with any third-party realtime blackhole lists (RBLs). Blocked messages are retained in a "quarantine" area, where they may be examined and released manually by the administrator.
The SMTP version of MAILsweeper runs on Windows 2000 Professional, Server, or Advanced Server. Other versions run on Microsoft Exchange and Lotus Domino platforms but these mail-server add-ons lack the anti-spam features.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Information Security Risk Manager, £45-55k + bens
Infosec People - West Midlands, England, Coventry
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £55-63k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Aldershot, Hampshire
Security Architect, Cardiff - to £70k Basic
Infosec People - Cardiff, Wales
Interim CISO (Chief Information Security Officer) - Cyber Security Director
CYBER EXECS - London (Central), London (Greater)
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Met Police grab suspect with phone unlocked to get hold of data
- Cyber-security must reflect risk not just regulation
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- Same fate befalls Post Office broadband as hit DT?
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- Microsoft Office 365 hit with massive Cerber ransomware attack, report
- Former Expedia IT employee admits to hacking execs from the inside
- Cyber-insurance: What will you be able to claim for and is it worth it?
- Levelling the playing field against targeted attacks
- India Supreme Court calls on tech giants to curb sexual assault, cyber-crime
- IoTSF conference: EU should become de facto regulator