McAfee Email and Web Security Appliance
May 03, 2010
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Easy to use and manage policies. Protection from both web and email-based threats
- Weaknesses: Documentation could include more detail on policies
- Verdict: Though the documentation could use a little more depth, this is another example of a solid product in the McAfee suite
McAfee Email and Web Security Appliance uses a multitude of scanning techniques to analyse both web and email traffic for threats. Email traffic is inspected for spam and phishing using a variety of detection methods including reputation, heuristics, signatures and content. Web traffic is filtered using category and reputation-based policies.
This appliance uses both local databases, as well as a connection to McAfee Trusted Source services to provide constant and up-to-date scanning capabilities.
We found the setup to be very simple and straightforward. The initial configuration is done via an eight-step setup wizard that gets the appliance up and running in the network environment. After this is complete, it runs with a solid default policy and instantly begins scanning network traffic. All administration is done via the web-based interface, which we found to be quite easy to navigate, with an organised layout.
The McAfee appliance includes many policy and scanning options for flexible deployment in almost any network. Policies can be set up to both block and monitor HTTP, FTP, POP3 and SMTP protocols for possible threats and malware. Web traffic can be scanned instantly for threats including viruses, spyware and adware, and when problems are detected the user is alerted and blocked from going any further.
Documentation provided includes a short quick-start guide that illustrates how to get the appliance up and running in the network in a few easy steps. Other PDF guides can be found on the website, such as the product guide for administrators. We found all documentation to be easy to follow, with a few screenshots, but would have liked to see more step-by-step instructions, especially in the policy configuration sections.
McAfee offers no cost access to an online knowledgebase, as well as a user forum and documentation downloads. Technical support is offered at a cost of 30 per cent of the product price per year and includes 24/7 phone and email support, assigned support specialists and onsite technicians.
At a price of just over £2,300 we find McAfee Email and Web Security Appliance to be good value for money. It offers a comprehensive amount of protection at a fair price.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Information Security Risk Manager, £45-55k + bens
Infosec People - West Midlands, England, Coventry
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £55-63k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Aldershot, Hampshire
Security Architect, Cardiff - to £70k Basic
Infosec People - Cardiff, Wales
Interim CISO (Chief Information Security Officer) - Cyber Security Director
CYBER EXECS - London (Central), London (Greater)
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Tesco Bank allegedly ignored warnings of hack from Visa
- Updated: A million German routers knocked offline by failed Mirai botnet attack
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Cyber-security must reflect risk not just regulation
- Met Police grab suspect with phone unlocked to get hold of data
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- Microsoft Office 365 hit with massive Cerber ransomware attack, report