McAfee Total Protection for Endpoint 4.5
July 01, 2010
£48 for 501 endpoints
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Provides many very good endpoint protection mechanisms, with a fairly low agent footprint
- Weaknesses: Help file could benefit from a bit more detail. More expensive than most
- Verdict: Other than the slightly above average cost, this solution is a fairly strong offering
McAfee Total Protection for Endpoint 4.5 is a host-based solution that protects laptops, desktops and server machines from various security threats.
It is centrally managed from McAfee's ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO) web-based server console. This is typically installed on a Windows server backend system, with varying support for different versions of Microsoft SQL Server. Currently it does not contain agents for client platforms other than Microsoft Windows.
Getting the management components of McAfee Total Protection up and running was very easy and straightforward. The web-based administrative console has several useful dashboard components for outbreak information and non-compliance status updates. It also has options for distribution and load balancing, through the placement of optional remote agent handlers for larger or more complex network environments.
It is worth noting that it also ships with protection support for Microsoft Exchange and Lotus Domino, however our testing only included the core operating system platform for desktops and servers.
The suite has an abundance of features that you would expect to see in an enterprise class endpoint protection solution. It includes anti-virus, application blocking, desktop firewall, host IPS, web browser protection and rogue system detection for alerting when systems are networked without the agent installed.
Agent deployment is straightforward, although we did notice the push installation lacks a status indicator.
Additionally, policy management of endpoint protection is very detailed, but the screen could benefit from a bit more organisation. Even with these minor shortcomings we were impressed with the low agent footprint and granular control you have over the endpoint agents. It also integrates into third party ticketing systems to help with remediation.
Although a help file is available via the server console, some areas of the documentation were lacking in verbosity. Additionally, some of the core components mentioned in the solution were missing from the main help file entirely. We were shipped additional PDF files for these missing components.
Gold support is included with the purchase price and includes 24/7, 365 days a year phone support, as well as online case management and McAfee's excellent customer portal. Additional support options are available.
SC Webcasts UK
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- BitTorrent moves to patch reflective DDoS attack flaw
- Recovering from virtual breaches is doubly expensive for businesses
- Symantec identifies 49 new modules associated with Regin
- ICYMI: Adblock threatens OSX; Thomson customers exposed; AM leaker 'a woman'; AM police call on white hat help; Malaysia cyber alert
- Dark website Agora closes over Tor vulnerability suspicions