June 02, 2008
£5,060 with £0.51 per month subscription, per seat prices start at £6
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Highly customisable, easy-to-use policy engine
- Weaknesses: Weak support options and difficult to install
- Verdict: This is a feature-rich offering, but it needs administrators who know their way around complicated email systems
This product has an expansive filtering engine comprising more than 200 separate rules that can be customised to fit the needs of the organisation.
Installation is no trivial matter. MessageGate requires the setup and configuration of databases and preparation of the environment.
That said, once the product is installed management is done through a well-designed interface. This web-based GUI uses Java and can be accessed from any web browser on the network for easy administration. The tab-top navigation is intuitive and easy to follow as well.
Policies are configured using the built-in PolicyBuilder. This tool helps create specific policies quickly and easily with just a few simple clicks of the mouse. We found creating policy to be quite intuitive, no matter how broad or specific the policy needs to be.
The documentation is made up of several PDF manuals. The getting-started guide gives specific step-by-step install and configuration information, including preconfiguration of the environment and databases. The administrator's manual dives deep into the management console and using the features of the MessageGate. There is also a guide for PolicyBuilder, giving very specific steps to get the most out of policy.
MessageGate offers phone and email support at an extra cost based on a percentage of the purchase price. There is no other support offered, and the website does not feature a knowledge base or FAQ section.
We find this product to be average value for the money. While it does offer some high-performance features, it does not bring much more to the table. Installation is quite a procedure, and there is no self-support option. However, MessageGate does provide a vast and comprehensive way to manage email content and compliance.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Junior Penetration Tester, Hertfordshire, to £35k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Hertfordshire
Cyber Security Architect
CYBER EXECS - London (Greater)
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £47-56k + package
Infosec People - Hampshire, England, Aldershot
Senior Security Engineer
Loveworklife Recruitment - United Kingdom
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Tesco Bank allegedly ignored warnings of hack from Visa
- Investigatory Powers and Digital Economy Bills could threaten economy
- Updated: A million German routers knocked offline by failed Mirai botnet attack
- Microsoft update left Azure Linux virtual machines open to hacking
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- ICYMI: CEO Sacked; MS Zero-day; Passwords dropped; Ransomware wild, charging hack
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- ICYMI: Tesco warned; IP Bill threatens economy; German routers offline; Azure trojan; Gooligan fraud
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- 90% of ITDMs believe IAM is crucial to digital transformation success
- Research: Hacked companies could see customer exodus if breached
- Misconfigured drive exposes locations of explosives used by oil industry