Microsoft Internet Security & Acceleration Server 2000
June 05, 2004
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
Designed for Microsoft server systems and easily integrates with existing systems.
The Microsoft way of doing things is not always quite what is expected.
A very capable piece of software and the obvious choice for Windows organizations.
If the network is to include a DMZ, then determine these addresses before starting the installation so they can be excluded from the Local Address Table (which contains the address ranges of the internal networks). Microsoft has a Server Publishing Wizard to configure servers in the DMZ.
Uninstall any server software that is not required. Installation is straightforward and largely automatic. The initial configuration is performed using a wizard that sets the firewall and applies security settings depending on the kind of server being used.
The servers are Dedicated (for standalone firewall servers), Limited Services (for domain controllers) and Secure (for firewalls installed on servers that are also database or application servers).
Firewall rules can be applied on a schedule. The server can be monitored and administered from the Microsoft Management Console. Wizards are used for administration and configuration (useful for setting VPN connections).
The system allows the creation of static packet filters that complement the filters set up by the rule creation process. Filters that block connections override those which allow them. The system has an IDS, but it is not enabled by default and needs to be configured.
The ISA Server provides a range of logging and reporting options. Alert conditions can be set up with one or more actions, including email notification and command execution. Our port scanning revealed an open port which was left open from another application and we were able to identify the system as a Windows 2000 Server. The IDS logged and reported the port scan as an intrusion attempt.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Junior Penetration Tester, Hertfordshire, to £35k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Hertfordshire
Cyber Security Architect
CYBER EXECS - London (Greater)
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £47-56k + package
Infosec People - Hampshire, England, Aldershot
Senior Security Engineer
Loveworklife Recruitment - United Kingdom
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Tesco Bank allegedly ignored warnings of hack from Visa
- Investigatory Powers and Digital Economy Bills could threaten economy
- Updated: A million German routers knocked offline by failed Mirai botnet attack
- Microsoft update left Azure Linux virtual machines open to hacking
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- ICYMI: CEO Sacked; MS Zero-day; Passwords dropped; Ransomware wild, charging hack
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- ICYMI: Tesco warned; IP Bill threatens economy; German routers offline; Azure trojan; Gooligan fraud
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- 90% of ITDMs believe IAM is crucial to digital transformation success
- Research: Hacked companies could see customer exodus if breached
- Misconfigured drive exposes locations of explosives used by oil industry