June 02, 2008
From £16,134 for 500 users
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Easy to plug into the environment and start filtering right away
- Weaknesses: High cost of ownership
- Verdict: An easy-to-use product that is priced a bit on the high side
We found MIMEsweeper quite simple to deploy and manage. The installation took just a few minutes and was guided by an intuitive setup wizard. Once this was complete we just pointed the mail server to send mail to the appliance and we were up and running. The web-based GUI is simple to navigate and we found several predefined policies left little need for extra configuration.
This product performed quite well during our tests and plugged into the environment without trouble. The predefined policies were comprehensive and contained a good set of rules to jumpstart the initial filtering. The addition of data leakage prevention policy in the way of expressions such as credit card numbers, as well as customisable expressions, makes this a well-rounded appliance that can keep sensitive information from leaving the enterprise.
Documentation included a getting-started guide and an evaluation manual. The former guide is really more of a poster; however, it does illustrate the initial setup and configuration process quite well. The evaluation guide details a few tests that show how to configure and use many of the appliance features. Both include diagrams and screenshots.
Customers can purchase a support contract for unrestricted telephone and email support, software updates, anti-virus updates and real-time spam update and reputation services. There is also a support section on the website with a knowledge base, technical documentation and threat information.
At just over £16,000 for 500 users, this appliance may seem quite pricey. But as it combines virus, spyware and spam protection with a comprehensive and granular set of compliance policies, we find this product to be good value for money.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Security Architect, Cardiff - to £70k Basic
Infosec People - Cardiff, Wales
Interim CISO (Chief Information Security Officer) - Cyber Security Director
CYBER EXECS - London (Central), London (Greater)
Junior Penetration Tester, Hertfordshire, to £35k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Hertfordshire
Cyber Security Architect
CYBER EXECS - London (Greater)
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Tesco Bank allegedly ignored warnings of hack from Visa
- Updated: A million German routers knocked offline by failed Mirai botnet attack
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Cyber-security must reflect risk not just regulation
- Shodan finds confidential Europol terrorist dossiers
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- Microsoft Office 365 hit with massive Cerber ransomware attack, report