October 30, 2009
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Flexibile, persistent and dissolvable agents; easy to manage
- Weaknesses: Nothing that we found
- Verdict: Extremely versatile, with lots of associated functionality. For these reasons, we rate NAC Director our Best Buy
NAC Director from Bradford Networks features a policy-driven architecture to provide agent-based access control across wired, wireless and VPN connections throughout the network. It can enforce compliance of the operating system type and patch levels, anti-virus application type and definition version levels, anti-spyware application installation, and the presence of required applications, such as firewalls.
Installation of NAC Director is a two-part process. The first is the initial setup and configuration of the appliance itself. This is done through a short setup wizard. This wizard guides through the network configuration and getting the appliance up and running. The second part of setup is also done using a setup wizard that gathers all the network device information and password and VLAN configuration. Both wizards are web-based and easy to follow. Management is done from a web-based interface that is intuitive and easy to use.
This appliance can plug into many network devices, including switches, wireless access points, VPN products and IDS/IPS. Agents can be either persistent or dissolvable and can run on Windows, Linux and Mac OS X. NAC Director also interfaces with Microsoft Active Directory for user and group configuration.
Documentation includes an installation guide, which covers the entire installation and initial configuration in a well-organised step-by-step process and a guide for using the web interface. Both include many screenshots and configuration examples.
Bradford Networks offers two support programmes: gold offers phone and emergency support, new version and maintenance software updates and three-day hardware replacement. Platinum support offers 24/7 phone and emergency support, new version and maintenance software updates and next-day hardware replacement.* There is also an expansive support area on the web.
At a price of £6,595, NAC Director is solid value for money. It combines functionality with easy installation and management, earning our Best Buy award.
* In the US. Contact regional offices for local support details.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Junior Penetration Tester, Hertfordshire, to £35k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Hertfordshire
Cyber Security Architect
CYBER EXECS - London (Greater)
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £47-56k + package
Infosec People - Hampshire, England, Aldershot
Senior Security Engineer
Loveworklife Recruitment - United Kingdom
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Tesco Bank allegedly ignored warnings of hack from Visa
- Investigatory Powers and Digital Economy Bills could threaten economy
- Updated: A million German routers knocked offline by failed Mirai botnet attack
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Microsoft update left Azure Linux virtual machines open to hacking
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- Microsoft Office 365 hit with massive Cerber ransomware attack, report
- ICYMI: Tesco warned; IP Bill threatens economy; German routers offline; Azure trojan; Gooligan fraud
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- 90% of ITDMs believe IAM is crucial to digital transformation success
- Research: Hacked companies could see customer exodus if breached
- Misconfigured drive exposes locations of explosives used by oil industry