May 01, 2008
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Easy to use, with deep drill down and application reconstruction ability
- Weaknesses: Nothing we found
- Verdict: A solid product that not only provides good log analysis, it has the forensics chops to get the investigative job done. Our Best Buy
We found NetDetector quite easy to use. Setup takes just a few minutes and most of this is spent unpacking the appliance. Initial configuration can be done either by connecting a monitor and keyboard directly to the appliance or through a hyperterminal connection. After entering a few commands to set time and date, a wizard helped set IP addresses and IP settings such as DNS and gateway. Once that was completed we just plugged it in to our network tap and accessed the Java-based web GUI, which is easy and intuitive to navigate.
This solution is a solid performer. It sits off of a hub, span port of a switch or a network tap, so it sees all network traffic and is able to record anything that goes in or out of the enterprise. When doing analysis, we found drilling down into the many graphs an easy task and finding the exact data was quick and efficient.
This product comes with two main guides. A printed customer installation guide provides the initial setup and installation procedure to get the box up and running, plus clearly shows different tap and network connections. The user guide illustrates the different functions and features of the appliance in great detail. Both manuals include many screenshots and diagrams.
Customers get one year of support with the purchase of the Niksun appliance, consisting of phone and email assistance as well as access to a dedicated web portal. The latter includes access to the latest technical advisories, FAQs, worm/virus notes, learning tools and product documentation.
At a starting price of £6,000 this product is excellent value for money. The combination of analysis capability and application reconstruction, along with simple intuitiveness, makes it a solid asset to almost any organisation.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Junior Penetration Tester, Hertfordshire, to £35k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Hertfordshire
Cyber Security Architect
CYBER EXECS - London (Greater)
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £47-56k + package
Infosec People - Hampshire, England, Aldershot
Senior Security Engineer
Loveworklife Recruitment - United Kingdom
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Tesco Bank allegedly ignored warnings of hack from Visa
- Investigatory Powers and Digital Economy Bills could threaten economy
- Updated: A million German routers knocked offline by failed Mirai botnet attack
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- Microsoft update left Azure Linux virtual machines open to hacking
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- ICYMI: CEO Sacked; MS Zero-day; Passwords dropped; Ransomware wild, charging hack
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- ICYMI: Tesco warned; IP Bill threatens economy; German routers offline; Azure trojan; Gooligan fraud
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- 90% of ITDMs believe IAM is crucial to digital transformation success
- Research: Hacked companies could see customer exodus if breached
- Misconfigured drive exposes locations of explosives used by oil industry