March 23, 2004
$75.82 per user (based on a 50 User Pack)
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
The various remote modes are useful in user-support operations.
: The documentation can be terse in places.
: A pleasant and simple remote control system, with added functionality.
While NetSupport Manager addresses the remote control issue by offering a straightforward graphical interface onto the target machine, it also offers some handy extras - such as facilities that can be used in user support tasks. The system is able to run conversations between the user and the support technician, and to show messages at the user's machine.
Support personnel will find the facility to transfer Clipboard contents between client and manager useful, and the system offers two operating modes that will be particularly helpful in user support. These are Share mode, which is a co-operative working mode where both the administrator and the client user can operate the target machine, and Watch mode, where the administrator can simply observe the user at work. Watch mode is useful when a user has a problem that cannot be replicated elsewhere, and which may be related to user operation. Support personnel can switch operating modes during remote sessions.
Another useful facility is the option to blank the client's screen while remotely controlling the system, so that sensitive operations can be hidden from unauthorized eyes. It is possible to remain connected to several clients in the same session, and to copy files to multiple clients in one operation.
The comprehensive scripting language has its own editor and is straightforward to produce scripts to automate most repetitive tasks. Even system administrators reluctant to get involved in script writing should be producing useful scripts in a relatively short time. The scripting language's syntax is similar to VBScript, and is therefore more user-friendly than languages that follow the C syntax model. All scripts are stored in a single location, and should be named accordingly.
The system has a remote install facility, and offers other network support facilities, like hardware and software inventory reporting, registry manipulation, and file transfer operations to multiple clients.
SC Webcasts UK
Information Security Manager
Infosec People - Hammersmith, West London
Junior Penetration Tester, Hertfordshire, to £35k + benefits
Infosec People - England, Hertfordshire
Cyber Security Architect
CYBER EXECS - London (Greater)
SOC Analyst, Aldershot, £47-56k + package
Infosec People - Hampshire, England, Aldershot
Senior Security Engineer
Loveworklife Recruitment - United Kingdom
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine UK Articles
- Tesco Bank allegedly ignored warnings of hack from Visa
- Investigatory Powers and Digital Economy Bills could threaten economy
- Updated: A million German routers knocked offline by failed Mirai botnet attack
- Microsoft update left Azure Linux virtual machines open to hacking
- Gooligan ad fraud malware infects 1.3M Android users, installs over 2M unwanted apps
- SC Awards Europe 2016 winners announcements!
- ISIS radicalises 'lone wolves' through strong social media presence
- Updated: How will Brexit affect the cyber-security industry in UK and Europe?
- ICYMI: CEO Sacked; MS Zero-day; Passwords dropped; Ransomware wild, charging hack
- 9.2 million medical records for sale on darkweb
- ICYMI: Tesco warned; IP Bill threatens economy; German routers offline; Azure trojan; Gooligan fraud
- Data centres are on the move - where will they end up?
- 90% of ITDMs believe IAM is crucial to digital transformation success
- Research: Hacked companies could see customer exodus if breached
- Misconfigured drive exposes locations of explosives used by oil industry